cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on DSLR (5D iv) or Mirrorless (R6 or R7)

chiner
Apprentice

I used to do a lot of photography, set it aside for a while, and want to get back into it. My current gear is a 7D with a 50/1.8 and 100/2. I also have a Lumix GH5 with a Canon EF lens mount adapter that I can use for video, but I don't do much video.

What I like to shoot are portraits of my kids, documentary style of trips and adventures, maybe some landscapes here and there.

I'd like to keep the budget at around $2500 all in and have been looking at the 5D iv with a 50/1.4 and either 24/70/2.8 or 24-105/4, buying them all used from MBP. Down the road I'd like to add a 70-200/2.8.

The R6 and R7 look cool, but it puts a lot more of my budget towards a body vs glass, and I'm not sure I need the newest tech for what I do. Here's how I'm looking at it:

Video isn't an issue, but it would be nice to have when I want it without needing to use the GH5.

I've gotten by with old AF tech for a while so the 5D iv would be a step up from the 7D but from what I hear nowhere as good as the R6 or R7.

I would like full frame for portraits and pixel size / quality and would keep my 7D so I have a crop if needed. That pushes me to the R6, which is a lot more money.

I don't know much about the RF lenses and whether I should be "future proofing" myself there or whether L glass in the EF mount will be plenty for what I do.

Biggest print I would probably make is 24x36

Dynamic range is really important, low-light performance is nice but not mission critical

IBIS is awesome (have it on the GH5) but will I really miss it if I'm shooting wide/normal?

I could sell the GH5 to up my budget, not sure how much extra it gets me…

Any recommendations? I'd like to use whatever I buy for at least 3 years, preferably 5. Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12

I totally agree, John. The OP would be very happy with the 5D mark IV and I would have no problem recommending it. I was able to take some amazing images with it, and still do.

Where the R6 or R6 II could be a better choice is if the OP wants or needs a lighter rig. The R6's are smaller and lighter as are most non L RF lenses. This could be a big deal for some, as you probably know, the 5D4 is a beast.

Newton

The weight factor is a good point Newton. If that is a consideration OP may need to up their budget.  

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

The 5D4 is a great camera, no doubt, but it might be more than what the OP needs.  It is not like the camera will see use on a near daily basis, but I could be wrong.

Besides, a new 5D4 costs more than the stated budget, which would hopefully also include a standard zoom lens.  I believe used gear is being considered.

If the OP has the budget for a 5D4, then go for it.  It should be familiar to someone coming from a 7D.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements