cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

90D Shutter count

Mathiman58
Apprentice

Hi I'm brand new to this and not very Tech Savvy so please excuse my ignorance. I own a Canon 90D and I am finding it impossible to get the shutter count from it? I have tried every online solution, watched every Youtube video, tried every online Shutter count application and downloaded every Canon software available. I was reliably informed that the EOS Utility would do the trick but the download I did does not have the Utility 3 option which, apparently is the one I need? I have tried the Canon connect app on my phone but the shutter count info doesn't show? I have tried to get it via Lightroom and Photoshop but that doesn't work either? When I download the Canon Digital Info software it wont recognise my camera? I am very frustrated and confused and am almost at the point of giving up on Canon for another brand. Can someone please help me? Remember to keep your reply simple, I'm not very bright it seems? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Perhaps if I explain the process differently...  This is the best attempt you have to obtain a value without going to Canon.

1. Take a photo.
  2. Use the button with the blue arrow on it to view the image.  When that is displayed you should see one of the screens in the image below. 
  3. If the shutter count (as indicated by the red arrow on the diagram) does not show, then press the Info button (see image below) on the back of the camera until it does.  90D back.jpg
    The last four digits in that sequence are likely your shutter count.   If it is greater than the number when you first bought the camera it is likely correct.  For further assurance, if you still have a photo you took when you first got the camera, check that the number of the file name is smaller than the one on your screen.

Info Display.png

It will help you now, and for resale purposes to have a copy of the user manual, which will tell you all about the camera.  HERE is a link to that manual.  On the top right of the screen, there is a disc icon (3rd from right) click on that to download it to your computer.  It might be worth looking through that.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

There is little reason to know the shutter count, but if that is something you want to obtain the only software I am aware of that is reliable is for macOS or iOS. Look into ShutterCount by Dire Studio. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi thanks for the reply. The reason I'm trying to find the shutter count is that I may sell up and upgrade to another camera and the first question I get asked by potential buyers is "what is the shutter count?" I will look into the software you have recommended but I'm a bit reluctant as any software I ahve previously purchased has not worked. The annoying thing is that the person I bought this camera from showed me how to find the shutter count via the photo's he had saved on the Canon Connect app, but when I do it, it doesnt show up? Thanks for your help though.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Is there a specific reason you need a shutter count?

If you got the Camera from new, and have not changed the file numbering features or put in a card with files from another camera with then most likely the shutter count is the file name.   When you take a photo it is stored on the card within a folder called 100, and within that the numbering goes -####.   So the first folder numbering would be from 0001 to -9999 and then a new folder 101 would be created with the #### starting again at 001.  You can see this by looking at the file view interface on the camera (press Info to rotate through different information screens), or if you put the card in a computer, the folders should be numbered as indicated, with the files inside.

While there is a Mac program that will apparently give a shutter count, I don't use that system, so can't comment on its veracity. Really, if you want a totally accurate shutter count then the best thing is to have Canon look at it: they have in-house tools that will verify the shutter count, but they are not available to consumers.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi thanks for the reply. The reason I'm trying to find the shutter count is that I may sell up and upgrade to another camera and the first question I get asked by potential buyers is "what is the shutter count?" I have tried to make sense of the information you have provided but as I said in my query, I'm not tech savvy and didnt understand some of it? Sorry. I appreciate you spending the time to reply though. The annoying thing is that the person I bought this camera from showed me how to find the shutter count via the photo's he had saved on the Canon Connect app, but when I do it, it doesnt show up? Thanks for your help though.

Perhaps if I explain the process differently...  This is the best attempt you have to obtain a value without going to Canon.

1. Take a photo.
  2. Use the button with the blue arrow on it to view the image.  When that is displayed you should see one of the screens in the image below. 
  3. If the shutter count (as indicated by the red arrow on the diagram) does not show, then press the Info button (see image below) on the back of the camera until it does.  90D back.jpg
    The last four digits in that sequence are likely your shutter count.   If it is greater than the number when you first bought the camera it is likely correct.  For further assurance, if you still have a photo you took when you first got the camera, check that the number of the file name is smaller than the one on your screen.

Info Display.png

It will help you now, and for resale purposes to have a copy of the user manual, which will tell you all about the camera.  HERE is a link to that manual.  On the top right of the screen, there is a disc icon (3rd from right) click on that to download it to your computer.  It might be worth looking through that.

cheers, TREVOR

This number is resettable and only goes up to 9999. If the user has ever reset it or has taken over 9999 photos, it will roll over (like a car's odometer), however, for most, it's fairly accurate. If you want the most accurate number, you'll need to send it to our Factory Service Center to be cleaned - they'll give you the shutter count when they attach the camera up to the diagnostic computer. You can get the process started within your My Canon Account at canon.us/account

The last I checked, a cleaning was about $60, but it might have changed since then (I'm not in support anymore)! 

Yes but in the case that it exceeds 9999, the number will go from 100-9999 to 101-0001, won't it?  I tried to explain address the reset option via my first post, it's all too much for the OP, I suspect.

cheers, TREVOR

Yup! But that number isn't intended to be a shutter count, it's intended to be a file number, and it can be reset based on the card, project, or anything. 

Like I said - the file number is usually enough for most, but if a buyer is being finicky, the only way to get a truly accurate count is from the shop. 😊

Totally agree, and you are right to point out the absolutely approved process, but given the level of sophistication of the OP, I hope this will be sufficient for their needs! 🤔

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements