cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D USB 2.0

JimmieB
Contributor

Hey everyone,

I know the Canons are using 2.0 - can still upload footage from the 80D to an external HDD with 3.0? I'll use the HDD 3.0 for editing, but I'm just concerned about actually moving the files off the camera.

Thanks for all of your help!

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@JimmieB wrote:

Hey everyone,

I know the Canons are using 2.0 - can still upload footage from the 80D to an external HDD with 3.0? I'll use the HDD 3.0 for editing, but I'm just concerned about actually moving the files off the camera.

In general, the newer USB protocols are backwards compatible. The data transfer will run slower if the hardware doesn't match, but it will usually work. But again, try it now while you still have time to develop a Plan B.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

diverhank
Authority

All serious photographers I know download files from the CF or SD using a USB 3 card reader and download the files at USB 3 speed.  Why bother hooking up the camera to the computer?

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Hey that's a good point. I was just thinking I needed to hook it up to my external drive, and then into the computer. But the card reader sounds like a better option I think. Any recommendations on those??

Thanks again!

5 REPLIES 5

@JimmieB wrote:

Hey everyone,

In general, the newer USB protocols are backwards compatible. The data transfer will run slower if the hardware doesn't match, but it will usually work. But again, try it now while you still have time to develop a Plan B.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

diverhank
Authority

All serious photographers I know download files from the CF or SD using a USB 3 card reader and download the files at USB 3 speed.  Why bother hooking up the camera to the computer?

Hey that's a good point. I was just thinking I needed to hook it up to my external drive, and then into the computer. But the card reader sounds like a better option I think. Any recommendations on those??

Thanks again!

The camera cannot  use a bare USB hard drive, the Camera cannot copy files without a controller. There are some external hard drives out there with viewers - like the Canon Connection Station - that can pull files off the camera.

@JimmieB wrote:

Thanks again!

Any USB 3 reader will do I'd think.  Transcend makes a really good one for about $13. I'd recommend this one.

Announcements