cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mark III Causing Corrupt Cards?

BMJZ
Contributor

I can't seem to find any threads about people having a similar issue. Here's what's happening -

Canon 5D Mark III, using SanDisk CF cards, photographing in raw.  I reformat prior to every use.  Photographed for roughly 3 hours, could preview the photos with the card in the camera.  Camera behaves completely normally.  If I let the card sit in the camera for more than 15 minutes (ie traveling from location back to office) something happens to the card and upon trying to import files card shows no images.  Put the card back in the camera, camera says no images.  I can use SanDisk's recovery software and get the images off the card and they are fine.  This has happened twice in one month to two completely different cards. 

Anyone know if this is a known issue?  Planning to send the camera to Canon for repairs.

13 REPLIES 13

BMJZ wrote:

I can't seem to find any threads about people having a similar issue. Here's what's happening -

Canon 5D Mark III, using SanDisk CF cards, photographing in raw.  I reformat prior to every use.  Photographed for roughly 3 hours, could preview the photos with the card in the camera.  Camera behaves completely normally.  If I let the card sit in the camera for more than 15 minutes (ie traveling from location back to office) something happens to the card and upon trying to import files card shows no images.  Put the card back in the camera, camera says no images.  I can use SanDisk's recovery software and get the images off the card and they are fine.  This has happened twice in one month to two completely different cards. 

Anyone know if this is a known issue?  Planning to send the camera to Canon for repairs.

A 5D3 can use both a CF card and an SD card and will let you save each image to both cards simultaneously. If you do that, do the images disappear from both cards or from only one of the cards? And if the latter, which one? Getting those answers may help pin the problem down.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

And speaking of "pinning down the problem" -- have you looked into the card slot to make sure there isn't anything in there that might be shorting across pins, etc.?

It could be a bit of debris... it could be a bent pin, etc.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Just checked in there and I can't see anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks!

Are you using a card reader?

Try to direct download files via USB.

Paul

Attempting direct download from the camera still says "no images".

@BMJZ wrote:

Attempting direct download from the camera still says "no images".

Be sure that you're reading the right slot. The 5D3 has the annoying behavior of switching slots if you remove the card in the active slot, then not switching back if you re-insert the card.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Ok, I'll have to do some experimenting to see if I can narrow it down.

Tim
Authority

Hello BMJZ, 

It sounds as though there is an issue within the camera which will require factory service to resolve.  

For factory service, please forward your camera to one of the Factory Service Centers shown below.  If it has been less than one year since the camera was purchased, we ask that you also include proof of warranty in the form of a copy of your sales receipt.

When shipping your camera, please be sure to remove the memory card and batteries. You are not required to send any accessories or manuals when shipping the camera.  Be sure to include your name, street address (no P.O. boxes, please), telephone number, email address, and a letter describing the issue with the product. 

Alternately, you may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

As we do not provide RMA numbers for service, we suggest using a trackable and insurable service (i.e. UPS, FedEX, Priority Mail) to ship your camera.  Please package the camera very securely in a sturdy shipping box to prevent damage during shipment.

Please send your camera to one of the Factory Service Centers below:

Canon Factory Service Center
12022 Canon Boulevard
Newport News, VA 23606

Or:

100 Ridge Road
Jamesburg, NJ 08831

Or:

123 Paularino Ave.
Costa Mesa, CA 92626-3311

Upon arrival at the Factory Service Center, your camera will be logged in to our repair database and assigned a repair number.  Next, the camera will be visually inspected and you will be advised of the findings.  If the required repairs are covered by the warranty, the repairs will begin immediately, and you will not be contacted.  When the repairs are complete, the camera will be shipped back to you via Federal Express.  The length of time for the repair will be dependent upon the nature of the repair and availability of parts, if needed.  Usually, warranted repairs are completed within approximately five to seven business days of the camera's arrival at the Factory Service Center.

All decisions regarding warranty coverage are made by the Factory Service Center at the time of repair.  If the repair entails something that is not covered in warranty, a written estimate will be sent to you at the address that you have provided.  The repairs to your camera will not begin until you approve this estimate and make payment arrangements.  If, after receiving the estimate, you do not wish to have the camera repaired, please inform the Factory Service Center of your decision as soon as possible.  If you decline the estimate, the camera will be shipped back to you unrepaired.

Once you have confirmed with your shipper that the camera has been delivered, you are more than welcome to contact us for repair updates. Please include your name, address, and telephone number, as well as the serial number of the camera, in all repair status inquiries.

Please note that our U.S. Factory Service Centers are unable to accept packages from or return equipment to addresses outside the United States.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

BMJZ
Contributor

Hi Tim,

Thanks I did send it in and Canon was able to fix it.  Told me there was damage to the pins and replaced the cf card insert.  I've got to reach out to them again though, because now that I have it back, it's not recognizing when I put SD cards in the slot so I can't double write my images.  Also, while this camera was out on repair, we had another camera with the same issue occur.  We carry our cameras in pelican cases but sometimes over rough terrain.  I'm wondering if all the bouncing is shaking something loose.

I'm hesitant to think it's user error from inserting the cards, I mean it's pretty straightforward. 

Thoughts?

Announcements