cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impressions on the EOS M5

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I always carry a camera, and usually a DSLR.  Having developed knee issues that are causing come grief for the time being, I am looking for a decent small camera as a general-purpse carry around kit.  I have become interested in the M5 because of its DSLR style layout and most importantly the built-in viewfinder.  I have an 80D and I understand its performance is fairly close to that model.

What I am keen to learn is the impressions of  those using the M5 - good and bad. 

I am somewhat dubious about the way the LCD display tilts (maybe good held above for selfies, but not so much on a tripod), and I am curious to know how well the 18-150mm, or the 55-250mm M-series lenses perform.

Any information is appreciated! Smiley Happy

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
5 REPLIES 5

Peter
Authority
Authority

I would say that if you want a smaller Canon, already are used to the menu and have a couple of Canon lenses, then M5 may be a camera for you. There are som minor bugs but I haven´t regret my decision. My review of M5:

Hi Peter:

Thank you for that video link.  I did watch it, and afterwards found a few further ones that came up on Youtube.  My impression at the moment is that I might wait for a second iteration of the M5 for a couple of reasons:

Lenses:  Half the point of the camera is its compact design, and I want to see a better range of EF-M lenses offered by Canon

Video:    While I am not a video officianado, I can see this model becomig obsolescent quickly because of its lack of 4K and lack of an earphone jack.

Flash:   They really should have allowed the on-board flash to trigger other Canon compatible flash unts.

LCD:   I have no idea why they set the LCD to hinge downwards rather than the conventional swing to the side and rotate. I have heard speculation it is to make selfies easier, but really it's not practical. Maybe they thought it was too bulky, but the fact is you can't use if if you have a tripod mount or even a selfie stick attached.  This seems to have been universally condemned by all the reviewers I have seen so far.

Of the list the lens issue is probably the most telling.  While I have about 20 Canon EF and EF-S lenses, and an adaptor (I have the EOS M already), my preference was to have an all-round smaller camera that still delivers quality images with reasonably fast lenses and good glass.

The M5 is heading in the right direction, but it is as yet still a work in progress.

cheers:  Trevor

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

IMHO, the M5 is not ready for prime time yet.  Maybe the M7 will be.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tronhard wrote:

Hi Peter:

LCD:   I have no idea why they set the LCD to hinge downwards rather than the conventional swing to the side and rotate. I have heard speculation it is to make selfies easier, but really it's not practical. Maybe they thought it was too bulky, but the fact is you can't use if if you have a tripod mount or even a selfie stick attached.  This seems to have been universally condemned by all the reviewers I have seen so far. ...

I suspect that the sole purpose of that feature is for when you're in a crowd and holding the camera up to see over people in front of you.

On one or two occasions I would have used it when I was trying to peer over a fence or curtain and photograph a construction site. But I doubt that requirement comes up enough to explain the presence of the tilting screen.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Bob:

Yes... it's really a puzzle.  I mean really one could achieve the selfie and preriscopic features using the tried and true side flip and rotate system, AND one could protect the screen if it was not necessary by rotating the screen to face inwards, as in the 80D.  I think someone in the design team had a brain fade! Smiley Wink

I don't use my cameras to take photos of me (I woud fear for the integrity of the lens if it was forced to look at me!) so the screen should not really hamper my photography, but it, along with the other niggles I have, indicate a lack of mature thinking for the design of MILC bodies.  I think Canon is suffering growing pains with the M series.

I got the EOS M simply for use on a tripod - either for set-piece scenic work, or for close-up/macro work.  I have always failed to see the value of any camera without a viewfinder if one is going to use telephoto lenses.  To me the sheer mechanics of trying hold stable a camera at arms length with a decent telephoto lens attached demands a camera with an eyepiece to allow me to create a stable 3-point connection, especially if one is using the better but heavier non EF-M lenses.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements