cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D vs 6D Mark II

pratikjha01
Apprentice

I was recently looking around the showroom of my local electronics store and found they had a 6D Mark II on display. It was my first time actually being able to touch one of Canon's full-frame DSLRs in person and I immediately fell in love with the feel of it. On paper, it's significantly heavier than my 700D but between the balance and the larger grip it actually felt lighter to hold in my hands, somehow. I was considering saving up to upgrade to an 80D, which fits my needs perfectly, but that 6D2 got me wondering.

On the tech specs side, the 80D fits me perfectly. I mostly shoot birds and other nature stuff that tends to require the extra reach of the crop sensor and preferably a fast/long burst. I also already have a nice set of EF-S lenses so I'd be starting all over again if I went full frame. On the other hand, I can't argue with the ergonomics, the 6D2 just feels good.

I haven't been able to get my hands on an 80D to compare yet though, only the 90D which did feel alright too. I also played with some of the R series but the only ones in my potential price range (R10, R50) just feel like toys and the EVFs are pretty meh.

TLDRs here, Any users who have experience with both the 80D and 6D2, could you give me your impressions of how similar/different they feel? They appear very similar in size and layout but pictures only go so far.

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

What is your actual budget?  There's about a $500 difference between the 80D and 6D2.  The 90D is the same price as the 6D2 and is three years newer than the 80D.  What model / focal lenght lenses do you actually own? 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

normadel
Authority
Authority

Consider a battery grip on an 80D or 90D. I have five EOS DSLRs, Rebel T1i, 50D, 60D, 7D, 6D. The first one I bought was the 60D because it felt better in my hands than a Rebel. I later got a grip for it. I like to be holding a camera with my WHOLE hand. They all have grips on them now.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Very first top of the list if you buy a new crop camera make sure you get a 90D in favor of an 80D. Newer tech and model year is always, 100% of the time, the better way to go. I would say fi you are happy with what you have now the  90D will only make you happier. Go with what you know is good advice.

" I mostly shoot birds and other nature stuff that tends to require the extra reach of the crop sensor ..."

You are entering a highly contested area with that statement. It may be true and it may not. It depends on several factors.  The debate comes down to which has better IQ a native cropper photo or a FF photo enlarged to the same perspective. In my experience the 90D has extremely good IQ and is probably better than a 6D Mk II to start with. So the native vs enlarged photo may prove a win for the 90D. I have not personally tested the two but I have tested several other cropper vs FF. For you I still lean towards the 90D. It just make more sense and the plus of being newer tech and model years.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements