cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupted files: Is the memory card or the EOS R6 to blame?

docsgp
Contributor

I have a pair of R6 I have shot with for about 3 years (concerts, sports, portraits). I recently began having issues with images in LRC saying “file not supported or file corrupted”. The image shows on the camera screen and even in preview in LRC. But the second I begin editing, I will get at least one image with this error. I’m inclined to think my SD cards might be going bad with read/write in camera. But I’m also concerned after three years of shooting it might be the camera writing poorly in some way. I shoot raw and jpeg then run raw in DXO. Would love to know your thoughts. Was planning on replacing cards first. Hopefully not a camera issue.

3 REPLIES 3

ctitanic
Rising Star

@docsgp wrote:

I have a pair of R6 I have shot with for about 3 years (concerts, sports, portraits). I recently began having issues with images in LRC saying “file not supported or file corrupted”. The image shows on the camera screen and even in preview in LRC. But the second I begin editing, I will get at least one image with this error. I’m inclined to think my SD cards might be going bad with read/write in camera. But I’m also concerned after three years of shooting it might be the camera writing poorly in some way. I shoot raw and jpeg then run raw in DXO. Would love to know your thoughts. Was planning on replacing cards first. Hopefully not a camera issue.

I also think that most likely the issue is with the SD Card.

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, Canon 5D Mark III, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50 and few other lenses.
Flickr, Blog: Click Fanatic.

Peter
Authority
Authority

When was the last time you performed a low level format in the camera?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Was planning on replacing cards first."

Yes do that and get a top quality brand and don't buy from Amazon unless you know it is from Amazon itself. It is too easy to get counterfeit SD from Amazon Marketplace vendors. Always use a reputable retail store for SD purchase and use the exact SD recommended in your manual from Canon.

Hopefully not a camera issue.

Not likely, possible but not likely. I format my memory cards (CF in my case) before each shooting session. I don't know that it is a mandatory thing or not but it is the habit I got into years, decades, ago. Senior Night this evening so I will format each CF  before I start.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements