cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Camera Case

wm700293
Contributor

Looking for a soft camera case for 5D with 24-105mm zoom.

3 REPLIES 3

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

This is really going to depend on what type of case you prefer.  There  are "holster" type cases, "messenger bag" shoulder bags, the list goes on and on.

To reduce drawing attention that screams "expensive camera inside!  steal me!" many people prefer less consispicuous (bags that don't have big logos on them).  ThinkTank's "Retrospective" bag, for example, looks like a rather plain ordinary messenger type bag rather than looking like a "camera" bag.

Some bags may have water-resistent features and/or include rain covers.  I never thought I'd really "need" one of these, but there was one day when I was REALLY glad my bag had a rain-cover inside.  The day was forecast to be spectacular and while out shooting a concert, we got a severe thunderstorm with torrential rains, straight-line winds that took down huge trees and knocked out power in the area for days.  When I saw severe thunderstorm clouds approaching and the winds picking up, I put the camera in the water-resistant bag, sealed it, put the rain-sleeve on, and tried to find cover before the storm hit (I did not succeed in finding shelter.)  My clothes were destroyed.  My camera and all my gear was absolutely dry.  That single event was worth the cost of the bag.

Canon does make some smaller body-type cases for the Rebel bodies, but not for the pro-bodies (which are noticeably larger).  

I have a few cases and I switch them depending on how I'll be using the camera on a particular day.  

A "holster" type bag will probably be the smallest -- these are designed to hold *just* the camera and it's attached lens with *maybe* a small pourch on the side for small-ish accessoires (spare memory cards, etc.) but no room for things like a second lens or a flash.  A "messenger" type bag will have extra room for perhaps one or two additional lenses, a flash, etc.  

There are some nice "sling" type bag designs.  These are designed to carry around your bag, but swing around to the front in such a way that you can access the bag contents without taking it off your shoulder.

Lowepro, Tenba, Thinktank, are all big names in bags (I'm sure I'm leaving a few out).  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

When I bought my 5D3 a few months ago, B&H threw in a few trinkets to sweeten the deal. One of them was a Canon 200DG bag, and I've been surprised at how much I like it. It's just right for the camera with a 24-105 lens, a 16-35 WA, a speedlight, and a couple of filters. It has good-sized pockets on the front and both ends, for batteries, memory cards, lens caps, etc. It's fast becoming my go-to bag for landscape photography and general snapshooting. I still need my large Domke bag or giant Lowepro backpack for events and other two-camera occasions, but i find that the Canon bag works very well for its intended purpose.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I use the 5DII + 24-105 with a Think Tank Digital Holster 20 V2.0. This is very convenient because it will fit an even larger 70-200mm f/2.8 w/ lens hood reversed and "Pop-Down" extended.

Announcements