cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50M VS RP dilema ,

ShepherdKai
Apprentice

Hello everyone, so I just sold my 80D with 18-135mm Lens because I wanted something smaller with around the same power and quality ( and similar lens) , I loved the camera, but I stopped using it because size.

I had my aim on the RP , mirrorless, compact and Similar to 80D in some aspects , so I called canon loyalty program , told them about the old t3i I had ( girlfriend camera ) and got a 20% discount on the RP with 24-105 kit lens ,

The camera just arrived , I haven't opened it because I'm still hesitant that this lens won't give Me the same range and versatility that the 18-135mm gave me So I was considering getting the m50 with the 2 lenses so I could get compact camera with longer range and versatility But since I already got the RP at an amazing price , what options to I have to get more zoom, the 25-250mm lens is extremely expensive

Has anyone been in this dilema themselves and could give me some insight ? Btw I'm an enthusiast photographer and professional visual artists , that is the reason I need a quality camera

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

The M Series is rumored to be a dead end.  I recommend you do your own reseach.  

With that said, The RF 24~105 has a constant f4 aperture, is weather sealed and has better coatings than the 18~135.

Comparitively, you are jumping all over the board.  EF-S, RF and Cine-Servo.  

I did own the 18~135 paired with a T6s.  It was a good lens and performed well.  If I owned a mirrorless body, I would attempt to stick with RF glass.  If you want quality, you're going to have to spend some money.  Also keeping in mind, that while compact, the RP is a budget mirrorless camera.  Versatility wise, it supports EF and EF-S glass with an adapter, but using RF glass is what I would recommend with an R body. 

You are now without a camera, but have a new RP sitting in its box.  If you have that much remorse about the RP, maybe you should have stayed with the 80D.  There are going to be pro's and con's no matter what your decision is.  I would have opted for the 24-70 f2.8 over the 105 f4.  It costs more for a reason.  The f4 however, will get you by in the majority of situations.  Body's come and go, but lenses are what matter,  You are going to replace that RP and when you do, having the 24-70 in f2.8 (considered by many as one of the best walk around lenses avaialble) would be my choice.  I don't think I made this any easier for you, and probably have only givien you more to contemplate.  Sorry for that.  

EDIT...  want to add one more thning.  If it came down to a M or R series, it would be R all the way.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I think the 24 to 105 is the kit version that comes with the EOS RP.  If so, that's going to be the Canon RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM.

IMO, the 18-135mm was the better of the two, unfortunately.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I wanted something smaller with around the same power and quality ..."

It sounds like you are a good candidate for one of the better Powershot camera models. The PowerShot G7 X Mark III, for example.  It is small and takes amazing photos. But it is only one model in the Powershot line for you to consider.  Although I use a 1 series, very big and very heavy, I always have my Powershot G1x with me.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... but I stopped using it because size."

Any camera you use is far better than the one you don't use. Check out the Powershot line.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The M Series is rumored to be a dead end."

I agree.  Not a good line to get into right now, IMHO. However, an M will always work as well tomorrow as it does today.

EB
Announcements