cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1dx mark II

TONY1900
Apprentice

Shooting large jpegs about 13 per shot, after I got home and put them on the computer noticed that about half way through my shoot the the megapixels were cut to half the original size then halved again to about 3.5 They stayed that way for the rest of the shoot. Checked my setting and all were the same. Shot some more today and they are back to 13. Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The sizes are mere estimates. If you have large areas of the same color the images can be compressed much smaller. I you shoot at high ISO's the noise makes the files less compressible leading to larger files.

Thanks Kv. The back ground is different. I think that did make a difference.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

At first I though the original poster was speaking to the file sizes as well (which as kvbarkley states above) can vary greatly.

But I believe the question was about resolution; as if the camera decided on its own to switch to say medium size, then later, small size.  I don't know what would cause that.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

@TONY1900 wrote:

Shooting large jpegs ...

Try using Raw. You will bypass the in camera compression routine.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I was shooting in raw and j-peg. Raw was cut in half also. The background got a more solid color when pixel dropped.  I believe this is why the pixel were so low.

Thanks for the input Biggs

If RAWS use compression, it is lossless.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I'm still confused.  You're mentioning that pixels are being dropped.  What does that mean?  Are you speaking about the file sizes (bytes), or image dimensions (pixels; width & height)?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

TONY1900
Apprentice

File size. A large jpeg is say 12.0 per. As my background changed to a much blacker setting the file size was cut in half because to about 4.5. Same in Raw. After doing some research and some guidance from Y'all I got it figured out.

Just never noticed it before. Only been shooting for 30 some odd years. Ha

😁

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements