cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warranty coverage for lens from unauthorized dealer

kenhan68
Apprentice

I dropped the lens while traveling and it broke. So, I bought a lens from an online market on eBay, and although it was a genuine Canon lens, it was sold by an unauthorized dealer. (I think they probably imported it from Japan...) If there is a problem with this product, can I get a warranty? If not, do I have to pay for repairs?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

March411
Rising Star

I'm not sure why people continue to say that Canon will not support or repair gray market equipment. Canon will complete the repairs at the customers expense and does not honor any warranties from suppliers outside of the authorized Canon retailers.

If you want additional information call 800-385-2155, they have always provided me with direct answers.

Confirmed in a thread I posted the same recommendation to another member

Canon Repair 

Canon site moderator confirming Canon will work on gray market. 

Authorized Dealers, Unauthorized Dealers, and Grey Market Explained 

Canon USA repair centers have stated they can’t figure out what’s import vs not based on serial number. We’ve had a few readers tell us that sending a non-US version body for warranty repair was successful, but not enough overwhelming evidence for us to loudly announce it. At this time we recommend trying to send items in for warranty repair, even if they’re import version; Canon seems to stand behind their products and that’s a good thing! Contrast this with Nikon: Nikon USA repair centers won’t touch a grey market item, even if you’re paying for the repair!

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

90D ~ 5D Mk IV ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
Personal Gallery

View solution in original post

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@kenhan68 wrote:

I dropped the lens while traveling and it broke. So, I bought a lens from an online market on eBay, and although it was a genuine Canon lens, it was sold by an unauthorized dealer. (I think they probably imported it from Japan...) If there is a problem with this product, can I get a warranty? If not, do I have to pay for repairs?

The only way to get a current correct answer is to contact Canon and ask them. 1-800-OK-CANON.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Regarding Gray Market in 2024. Your best option is to send it in and let the Factory Service Center take a look at it. Depending on what needs to be repaired, they may be able to perform the repair, but you need to be aware that they may not. One example that I was told several years is if the part that needs to be repaired/replaced causes the serial number to be changed or the model to be changed (some overseas units have different model numbers), our team cannot perform the repair. 

As far as the warranty is concerned, that really depends on where it was purchased and what kind of warranty it has. Sometimes, our team can get paid for the repairs, but most of the time, they can't. Most overseas warranties only pay for repairs in their regions, not internationally, but again - the only way you'll know is to send it in to have our team take a look! 

If you can register your gear, do so at https://canon.us/account and send it in for repair that way. If you can't, fill out the form at https://canon.us/repairform 

I sincerely hope this helps!

5 REPLIES 5

normadel
Authority
Authority

Did it come with any kind of warranty at all, like an aftermarket warranty from someone other than Canon?

If not, repairs are on you. If it did, you're dependent on who the seller was.

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Canon will NOT repair gray market camera gear. There is ALSO NO WARRANTY on gray market camera gear.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

March411
Rising Star

I'm not sure why people continue to say that Canon will not support or repair gray market equipment. Canon will complete the repairs at the customers expense and does not honor any warranties from suppliers outside of the authorized Canon retailers.

If you want additional information call 800-385-2155, they have always provided me with direct answers.

Confirmed in a thread I posted the same recommendation to another member

Canon Repair 

Canon site moderator confirming Canon will work on gray market. 

Authorized Dealers, Unauthorized Dealers, and Grey Market Explained 

Canon USA repair centers have stated they can’t figure out what’s import vs not based on serial number. We’ve had a few readers tell us that sending a non-US version body for warranty repair was successful, but not enough overwhelming evidence for us to loudly announce it. At this time we recommend trying to send items in for warranty repair, even if they’re import version; Canon seems to stand behind their products and that’s a good thing! Contrast this with Nikon: Nikon USA repair centers won’t touch a grey market item, even if you’re paying for the repair!

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

90D ~ 5D Mk IV ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
Personal Gallery

Regarding Gray Market in 2024. Your best option is to send it in and let the Factory Service Center take a look at it. Depending on what needs to be repaired, they may be able to perform the repair, but you need to be aware that they may not. One example that I was told several years is if the part that needs to be repaired/replaced causes the serial number to be changed or the model to be changed (some overseas units have different model numbers), our team cannot perform the repair. 

As far as the warranty is concerned, that really depends on where it was purchased and what kind of warranty it has. Sometimes, our team can get paid for the repairs, but most of the time, they can't. Most overseas warranties only pay for repairs in their regions, not internationally, but again - the only way you'll know is to send it in to have our team take a look! 

If you can register your gear, do so at https://canon.us/account and send it in for repair that way. If you can't, fill out the form at https://canon.us/repairform 

I sincerely hope this helps!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@kenhan68 wrote:

The only way to get a current correct answer is to contact Canon and ask them. 1-800-OK-CANON.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic
click here to view the gallery
Announcements