cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G7X dust on sensor

andydiggler
Apprentice

Hi all

I have a problem with a load of dust on my G7X's sensor. I live in Italy and I took my camera in to the Canon service centre here in Rome to have the lens cleaned. In Italy unfortunately businesses are notorious for trying to rip off none Italians, so I wanted to hear others opinions. They informed me that it is not possible to clean dust off the lens of this camera, and that the shutter has to be replaced. I find it hard to believe that any time a little bit of dust appears on a sensor (which I have read is a common problem with these powershots) someone will have to pay $250 to replace a shutter. Can it be true?

What are my options for cleaning the dust myself? The camera is out of warrenty.

Thanks for any information or advice.

Andy

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Google G7X teardown.Digicam erectile zoom lenses are tough to take apart and put together.

andydiggler
Apprentice

I'm not really looking to pull the camera apart, moreso blowing it out with compressed air or something like that.

Is that possible with the G7X?, or does it have to opened and taken apart?

Unlike a DSLR with a removeable lens - which theoretically makes the dust problem worse, there is no way to get at the sensor in the G7X without surgery. There is no way to easily remove the lens.

Announcements