cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for EF lens with decent range

March411
Rising Star

Looking for a single lens with decent range. My daughter travels quite a bit and wanted a hand me down, had my 60D cleaned and it's now hers for travel.

I would like to get her a single lens that would give her good range, was light enough to carry all day hiking and produced some good image quality.  I was looking at the Sigma 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM C. The reviews for the most part are pretty good, they appear to have had a small challenge with the focus motor but overall for the amateur/hobbyist the feedback has been good. I found one used in excellent shape for $380.

Image stabilization and auto focus are a must have for the lens.

The question, if you were going to gift one lens with about the same spec and price what would you buy. 

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!
Accuracy of statement is one of the first elements of truth; inaccuracy is a near kin to falsehood. - Tryon Edwards

90D ~ 5D Mk IV ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
Personal Gallery
12 REPLIES 12

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I second JH suggestion for the Canon ef-s 18-200mm. Keep it Canon of possible. That will work best.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Lens are recommendations for DSLRs are subject to availability.  Canon has already stopped production of most EOS DSLR lenses.  You could be looking at the used lens market.  Try MPB.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thomas68
Contributor

I just bought a used Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DI-II VC AF lens from Adorama for  $119.00 that I really like. It's not too heavy. Using it on a Canon T6s

Announcements