cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 70-200 F2.8 L II USM Tracking and Focusing Problem

EthanMcMahon
Apprentice

I have an R7 (less than a year old) and an EF 70-200 F2.8 L II USM connected with the canon brand mount adapter. So far I’ve had no issues but recently my camera/lens has been having focusing issues, my camera in most instances will still track a subject and know what it’s supposed to focus on but my lens just won’t do it. I’ve cleaned the already very clean contacts, clean the lens glass, updated firmware gone through every setting in the camera. I’m really hoping it’s not something huge like the motor in the camera is going but if someone could please provide some insight.

14 REPLIES 14

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Check that the range switch on the lens is set to maximum range (1.2M-INF) and reset the camera and clear all custom functions. (There is no motor in the camera; focusing motor is in the lens.)

Screenshot 2023-04-08 133430.jpgScreenshot 2023-04-08 133526.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

My mistake for the confusion meant to say lens instead of camera, was typing this up in my car. Ive actually already reset the camera along with switching back and forth all switch on the camera.

Canon has a list of which lenses are fully compatible with Dual Pixel Autofocus. EF or EF-S lenses released prior to 2009 are not fully compatible. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Could you possibly find a list of those lenses, I believe mine was release in 2010 and the list I found said it was “Maximum vertical and horizontal AF area of approx.100%”. This is also a new issue. I’ve done over 35 sports games with this camera and lens along with some events and street photography and had no issues until recently.

Here is the list below. Also Canon has NEVER used an AF Motor in the camera body for AF. Nor does the EF-RF Mount adapter contain a motor for AF. All AF lenses for Canon have a motor in the lens. Aperture control is electronic and there is no mechanical aperture level. The mount is 100% electronic with no mechanical interface at all.

577887DC-5621-44A4-AB6C-57C327CD03F9.jpg

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Yeah I have the EF 70-200 IS L II USM. Also don’t know if it’s relevant but I’m not shooting in H+ Continuous just H. 

I posted the wrong list in forum. I thought I posted the right list in the forum. I will correct it when I find the right one.

-Demetrius

I believe the II version of the lens came out in 2010.  

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

FWIW, I had one until recently and the 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM came out in 2010, I bought mine in 2012.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements