cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 100mm F2.8 Macro - How to Engage 1.4x Magnification

espi27
Apprentice

How does one engage the 1.4 magnification on the RF 100mm F2.8 Macro lens?

Thank you. 

7 REPLIES 7

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

Given that the lens is a fixed focal length, the size of an image that is captured will depend on how much of it fills the Field of View, and that is a function of how close the camera is to the subject.  According to the specs I have seen, the maximum magnification is at 26cm (10").

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@espi27 wrote:

How does one engage the 1.4 magnification on the RF 100mm F2.8 Macro lens?

Thank you. 

As Trevor said, you have to be at the "minimum focus distance (MFD)", which is 0.86 feet (stated on the lens). No settings or switches. This is typical with all macro lenses, so max magnification will always be at MFD. If I want to get the max 1.4X, I use a macro rail, but when handheld I can usually get at least 1:1, it just depends on how steady I am that day 🙂

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

And with some out of focus shots. 8^)

Here is where the 3 axis IS comes in handy.

@kvbarkley wrote:

And with some out of focus shots. 8^)

Here is where the 3 axis IS comes in handy.

Absolutely! The IS is really good in this lens, then combined with the R5's IBIS, it is just short of amazing. I have a monopod, but usually don't use it with the RF 100. For me, the combo is just that good at IS. Indoor staged shots is where I break out the rail.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Which camera body are you using?

Are you trying to use a 1.4x teleconverter with the lens?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I don't think that is the intention Bill - given that the lens is supposed to deliver up to 1.4x magnification on its own, but the requirements for that level of performance are quite specific.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I'm using the R6. No teleconverter. 

Announcements