cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos 30D w/ 75-300mm vs Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS ?

Saluki
Enthusiast

The Eos 30D I purchased used came with an older 75-300mm lens. Reviews seem to rate the newer 70-300mm w/ IS as a much better lens. But how much better? Also, the 70-300 is full frame - would that work with my older 30D? 

14 REPLIES 14

Thanks - several have said the move up to the EF 70-300mm would be a noticeable improvement. I bought 30D and the 75-300 for about a bit over $100, and they both have been perfectly serviceable, and a big improvement over the SX60HS I'd been using for the past 6 years. Will look for a 70-300 lens.

Saluki
Enthusiast

Thanks. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I might caution you about the reviews you ar reading. You have a 15 year old 8MP camera. If the reviews are done with a more current camera with perhaps several times the MP of the 30D, your actual results may not be the same. The review may not be valid in other words for you.

The best you can take from those reviews is the newer lens is probably sharper but how much in your specific case is not known.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Since you indicated birds is your main most goal have you considered the Canon EF 400mm F5.6L USM prime lens?

It is a super tele of a more closely related time period to your 30D. It is a unique and fantastic lens. Light so it is easy to handle and very sharp as most prime lenses tend to be. They made thousands upon thousands so it is a good candidate on the used market if price is a top factor.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Saluki
Enthusiast

I'm looking into getting a Refurbished 70-300 thru the on-line Canon site. None available now, tho they had been listed for about $375. Checked the "wish list" but not sure what that will get me. There was no info on what checking an item as "wish list" would do. Do they let you know when one becomes available or what? 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements