cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA TR4720 How to Force It to Use USB Instead of Wi-Fi

smbdck
Apprentice

I am running windows 7 on a dell desktop.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

When you install the printer you can only choose one connection method. There is no way to tell the driver to select usb or wireless once it is installed. 

As a work around, go into view devices and printers and you see your printer listed, right click on it and change the printer name to TR4700 wireless if you chose the wireless option when installing the printer. 

Once that is done, reinstall the printer driver and select the usb connection option. Once the printer installs go back into view devices and printers. A new printer icon will appear and normally it will add a Copy 1 onto the printer name. Right click this icon and rename it to TR4700 usb.  

Now when you go to print, you will be able to choose between the printer driver that was setup up for wifi or the one that was setup for usb. 

Or if you just want wireless printing for other devices and usb only for your Windows 7 computer, then just remove the printer from your computer and reinstall it selecting the usb option during the install. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Tiffany

Welcome to the Canon forum!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know which operating system is running on your computer (i.e. Windows or macOS and which version).  Any 
other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue. The forum is not intended for immediate support. If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE

Thank you!

I tried to edit the post and add more information. I don't know if my edit worked.

smbdck
Apprentice

I'll try again, new here, I screwed up my first post.

I'm running a Dell desktop on windows 7 OS. I have a tr4720 connected with a usb cable and wireless. How do I force it to print using the usb connection rather than WIFI >

smbdck
Apprentice

This has not been answered, any advice of where to get an answer.

Hi,

When you install the printer you can only choose one connection method. There is no way to tell the driver to select usb or wireless once it is installed. 

As a work around, go into view devices and printers and you see your printer listed, right click on it and change the printer name to TR4700 wireless if you chose the wireless option when installing the printer. 

Once that is done, reinstall the printer driver and select the usb connection option. Once the printer installs go back into view devices and printers. A new printer icon will appear and normally it will add a Copy 1 onto the printer name. Right click this icon and rename it to TR4700 usb.  

Now when you go to print, you will be able to choose between the printer driver that was setup up for wifi or the one that was setup for usb. 

Or if you just want wireless printing for other devices and usb only for your Windows 7 computer, then just remove the printer from your computer and reinstall it selecting the usb option during the install. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

normadel
Authority
Authority

If you originally installed it as a WiFi printer, install it AGAIN as a USB printer. You will have two printers showing up in Devices and Printers, and in an application's print dialog box list. Choose whichever one you want to print to.

If you do not want to use WiFi at all, delete the printer, and all of its files in Add/Remove Programs. Then install from scratch as a USB printer.

Announcements