Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printer on and off continuously

NicolaeSfetcu
Apprentice

Hello,

The printer is MX495.

I did not us it for a while and today, when I started it, it turns on and off each 5 seconds.

All the printer buttons are blocked, including the power button (I cannot turn it off from the power button).

While the printer is on, no matter if I open or not the front cover, the cartridge holder moves continuously left and right without stopping.

There is a single word displayed on the display: ”Canon”.

Can you help me with an advice to eliminate this problem?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi,

Based on your description, I would recommend contacting our phone support team for additional assistance. They can be reached by logging into your My Canon Account and going to your support options.

Please be advised, if you are outside of the United States, I recommend contacting the branch of Canon for your region. You may find the correct website using the map on the Canon Global website: http://global.canon/en/support/

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

64 REPLIES 64

ars
Contributor

I have the same problem with my Maxify 2050 printer.

It’s endless repetition of showing Maxify on the display and then turning off and on repeatedly. 

craftywonderlan
Apprentice

We are having the exact same problem too, so it is definitely something that Canon has done and needs to fix instead of offering for everyone to buy a new printer. Our printer worked just fine yesterday. Today is just turns itself off and on every few seconds and the only words on the display window are CANON. 

jperez739
Contributor

I experienced the same issue with my MX490. The temporary solution I found was to block the printer from internet access to get it to function. I have the printer working now via a USB connection to my computer. I'm not sure if all the Canon models are being hacked that are connected via WiFi.

ruggisteph
Apprentice

I had the same issue for a printer MX492 PIXMA bought in Canada 4 years ago, worked perfectly yesterday and turn on and off continuously today on may 31, with non action to do. The best solution to fix this issue was indeed to remove the access to wifi, everything works like before. If you turn the wifi on, then the issue starts again. This issue has really to be solved by Canon! Now  my printer works, but nothing can be printed form smart phones.

jperez739
Contributor

Here is the actual solution.

Screenshot_20220531-200723_Chrome.jpg

Carlos815
Apprentice

Same issue here today. I went last night to print out some papers and of course nothing worked. Apparently this is happening to everyone with no solution so leaves me with no other choice but to buy a new printer / different brand! 

ars
Contributor

If I turn my router off all the buttons on the printer work and therefore I can copy pages but as soon as I turn the router on again all the buttons are frozen. I need to be able to print dance sheets off the internet wirelessly so I have gone out and purchased another printer as I can't wait for ever for Canon to provide a fix. The new printer works perfectly. 

tahoemarta
Apprentice

Okay- add me to the "very dissatisfied with my Canon printer club"! What is Canon doing to help us all? I will be unplugging my printer and going down to the local print shop to do my work. PLEASE! Help us Canon!

sheri99
Enthusiast

SOLUTION: After a 1:57 hold time with Canon customer service.... I have the solution! (and that was 2 hours, not 2 minutes) If this is happening to you it is very easily fixed. [Removed per Community Guidelines]  Although I wish I could make up for my 2 + hours of time. The tech told me that when they walked into the office Tuesday morning, "the stuff had hit the fan" because this has affected many models and they don't know what caused it. Here is what you need to do to fix it:

Completely unplug your router and then turn on your printer (it won't stay on if your router is because of a linking problem with the router, that we are going to fix.)  So this is the step-by-step for the MG6620 and probably those models with similar menus, but whatever model you have just try to get to your DNS Server Setup. That is where the setting is that needs manually changed. So for the MG6620:

On the menu swipe to Setup, then find Web Service Setup then DNS Server Setup. Select Manual.  Press each set of numbers and change them all to 000 except the last set. That needs to be 001. So your DNS will look like this: 000.000.000.001  Click OK, then click No.

That's it. You should be good to print.

You are welcome!  Too bad someone at Canon doesn't just post this somewhere. Would've save a lot of people a lot of headaches, I'm sure. 

Thank you so much for posting this. My Cannon MX490 was doing the exact same thing and I saw your post and sure enough it worked for me too.  I actually used my Iphone 12 that has the Att Smart Home Manager and blocked the cannon printer from the internet. I'm watching my 8 year old grandson and I told him I had to disconnect the WIFI  and he was not happy about that at all so I just blocked it from my Iphone. Now I can use the printer on WIFI too. Thanks Again! 

Announcements