cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma TS3120 won't print in black ink on photo paper (MacOS)

rakkafrakka
Contributor

Hello everyone, I am trying to print out some photos and realized that setting the "Print in Color" toggle to off doesn't impact the print. My black ink cartridge is new but the color cartridge is nearly empty, so prints keep coming out weird because it won't print in just black ink. I attached a screenshot of the printer command UI and also of a test print - the super orange side should be in black ink only and I don't know why it keeps using color ink.

I use a MacBook Air. How do I resolve this?

the macOS basic print setup showing the "Print in Color" toggle turned offthe macOS basic print setup showing the "Print in Color" toggle turned offthe test print showing the photo was still printing in color despite the color toggle set to offthe test print showing the photo was still printing in color despite the color toggle set to off

8 REPLIES 8

rakkafrakka
Contributor

I'd like to add that the "Print in Color" swatch works fine for regular printer paper. But I am trying to print on glossy photo paper, not regular paper.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What happens if you run a nozzle check?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

As far as I can tell, nothing out of the ordinary. The black ink seems to work fine on regular paper, but not the glossy photo paper. The results are the same whether or not I tell the printer it's got regular paper or photo paper in it.

"As far as I can tell, nothing out of the ordinary." Does that mean the nozzle check prints correctly?

Canon Knowledge Base - Printing the Nozzle Check Pattern - TS3120 / TS3122

Screenshot 2023-04-03 195002.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

I am having the same problem. I have also done all the nozzle and cleaning checks and test. All of them come back completely normal and show no issues, yet the pink problem still exists. I have flushed the tanks too. The problem is only with photo paper and it doesn’t matter if I have it marked as plain paper, it still prints pink while using photo paper. 

I didn't consider this, thanks! The print did have a couple of lines missing, and running the print head cleaning op helped a but not 100%. Even so, I don't see why that caused this to happen.

I ended up buying different (more expensive) ink cartridges and the prints came out better, but I'm pretty sure it's still printing everything in color even when the switch is turned off. So...I don't know what this is about.

amos_brittani
Apprentice

Even I was facing the same issue but latter discover that the black ink  work fine on regular paper, but not the photo paper. 

Barcode Label Maker by : https://www.barcodelabelmaker.org

That's exactly what's happening with me, which I think I mentioned elsewhere already. Seems like a design problem of some sort that Canon would have to fix, as I don't think it's mentioned anywhere that the printer will sense photo paper is being used and must use color ink on it.

Announcements