cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX490 Keeps Cycling

elstx61
Contributor

Canon Pixma MX490 powers on and goes through initialization, then powers back off.  Keeps repeating the process as long as it's plugged in.  Buttons are non-responsive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mike

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.  A firmware update is available to fully resolve this issue.   You can download the firmware update and find easy installation instructions at canon.us/power.

View solution in original post

354 REPLIES 354

If you do call your IT guy be sure to show him this thread, I don’t expect him (or her) to know how to solve it without seeing the workaround presented here (even Canon support don’t know how to overcome the issue yet), but he will be able to follow the instructions. 

Lilmesz - that process will work.  Let me break it down a bit more clear.

If you are connected using wifi then it works as follows.
1.  Unplug your printer from the outlet (it'll now be powered off)

2.  Go to the modem in your house for your cable and internet.  Disconnect all of the cords and let it sit for a couple minutes.

3.  Go plus the printer back in and it'll start up without the cycling (problem isn't solved yet) which will allow you to then access the Menu on the printer.  Then go to Setup menu > Web service setup > DNS server setup > Manual setup. Configure an IP from your internal network that is not in use or another IP that is not a DNS server, as the printer will not be able to make queries. Choose a random IP number. I just made up a random one using this format192.158.1.38 (hell use that number if you want).  Once configured, press OK. Select the 'No' option and press OK. Wait a few moments to complete the configuration.

4.  Go and plug back in all the wires on your cable/internet modem.  Once that connection is restored the printer will work.

I'm not super tech savvy but was able to do it. 

Thank you!  This worked.  I appreciate you typing this up for us.  Have a great weekend.

Maw1
Contributor

Is there any way to fix this?!

nvlawman
Contributor

Yesterday, I changed the IP address of my printer to a made up one and it prints from both my laptop (wifi) and desktop. If you need a valid IP for another reason, see below:

This problem that you are experiencing is because of DNS. I solved my problem by turning off he printer, then the router/modem.. The printer will turn on normally. Then go to Setup menu > Web service setup > DNS server setup > Manual setup. Configure an IP from your internal network that is not in use or another IP that is not a DNS server, as the printer will not be able to make queries. Once configured, press OK. Select the 'No' option and press OK. Wait a few moments to complete the configuration.

budro6968
Apprentice

Never fails.  I don't use my MB2320 very often. Always something.  I bet I have only printed  maybe 150 sheets.  Ink dries out way too expensive.  Cost more than the printer.  Plus this thing is a monster on my desk. 

Jane1448
Apprentice

So what printer should I purchase since Canon doesn't seem to have a fix for this?

If I have to buy another one, I guarantee it will not be made by Canon.

KenShead
Contributor

I have the same problem.  I have tried to read all of the comments.  I am embarrassed to say I don't know how to disconnect from wifi.....I am wireless.....to try the "unplug, remove from WiFi and restart" that some of you have said has some success.  

If you are connected using wifi then it works as follows.
1.  Unplug your printer from the outlet (it'll now be powered off)

2.  Go to the modem in your house for your cable and internet.  Disconnect all of the cords and let it sit for a couple minutes.

3.  Go plus the printer back in and it'll start up without the cycling (problem isn't solved yet) which will allow you to then access the Menu on the printer.  Then go to Setup menu > Web service setup > DNS server setup > Manual setup. Configure an IP from your internal network that is not in use or another IP that is not a DNS server, as the printer will not be able to make queries. Choose a random IP number. I just made up a random one using this format192.158.1.38 (hell use that number if you want).  Once configured, press OK. Select the 'No' option and press OK. Wait a few moments to complete the configuration.

4.  Go and plug back in all the wires on your cable/internet modem.  Once that connection is restored the printer will work.

I'm not super tech savvy but was able to do it. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements