cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX490 Keeps Cycling

elstx61
Contributor

Canon Pixma MX490 powers on and goes through initialization, then powers back off.  Keeps repeating the process as long as it's plugged in.  Buttons are non-responsive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mike

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.  A firmware update is available to fully resolve this issue.   You can download the firmware update and find easy installation instructions at canon.us/power.

View solution in original post

354 REPLIES 354

Can you be a bit more specific? I am NOT a techie and you lost me. But if this is a permanent fix, I'd like it.

The link provides the workaround, but it is a bit technical ( configuring a fake dns server address). Can you just connect the usb cable to your computer instead of using wireless printing? It might be a simpler workaround

I suppose it's possible...not sure what cables I have. But I would like to print from my laptop, preferably. Tho I got so pissed yesterday, I uninstalled the printer from it. Not sure if I can install it now that it's on and seems functional. So...if that worked, if printer is installed and usb connected to my desktop, would wireless connection work from my laptop? And I hope ALL this will not be a problem for new printer I ordered...yikes. I need a printer...and I can't run an expensive laser printer. My power won't accept it...makes my lights flicker/blink! And I like these cheap ones cause I'm not quality fussy...just want a printer. And these will print till the ink actually STOPS...and it still tries. No rejections for color or B&W!

Sorry to ask another ? but how do I change printer installed on my desktop from wireless to USB connection? And oddly, I did have one of the weird USB cables...it's NOT a micro or mini or whatever that new "oval" one is (type C?). This end is flat on 1 side, then larger sides with rounded corners into other end. TOO MANY DIFF CABLE ENDS!

Just connect the cable to the printer and computer / laptop as described in the link below:

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/Manual/M/MX490%20series/EN/NTR/NTR_Ijinst_Page2.html

Unfortunately, my modem and printer/desktop are in separate rooms.  I rely 100% on wi-fi.....

The workaround allows working with wireless, but it requires some “techie” configuration that the previous user was not comfortable doing. 
if you are comfortable trying, disconnect the modem and the printer will stop rebooting. Then follow the guide to change the dns settings:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Desktop-Inkjet-Printers/MX490-power-cycling-fix-from-user-on-foru...

Connecting cable just messed everything up. But now have wireless working connection to both desktop and laptop...as long as I leave it on. And previous weird "fix" still works. Still trying to decide if I want to keep the new printer I bought...or maybe wait until this doesn't work at all, then buy. I'm done here...no more to be done. But thanks for helps.

As mentioned in the fix documentation, it works for all local wireless printing. Last line in the description states printing from cloud, for instance, won't work.

webbme
Apprentice

Add me to the list.  MX490  Very frustrating.  Been using Wi-Fi to print for years and all of these instructions are Greek.  Shouldn't have to buy a new printer when it is obviously some kind of software update.  

Canon....please rectify!

click here to view the gallery
Announcements