cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MG7520 card reader problem

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I have a Pixma MG7520 multi-function printer that has started annoying me & my household to no end.

On several devices the memory card reader of the MG7520 keeps appearing as a new 'removable drive' roughly every 4-5 minutes, or when ever the device exits the screen saver, wakes up from standby, or starts up.  This behavior continues the entire time the printer is powered ON. The connection to the printer does not matter, this baehavior happens via USB and network. As shown in the screen shot below the printer is asking for a card to be inserted indicating that it is aware there is no memory card insterded meaning the switches in each card slot are functioning properly.    

2021-11-04_12-55-53.jpg

The printer is currently connect to a Windows 10 Pro desktop with a USB cable, and it is connected to the local network via ethernet. This occurs on two Win11 Home laptops, one Win7 Pro Laptop, One Win10 Pro Laptop, and a one desktop PC running Fedora 36.
The following setting are used:

Firmare Version: 4.0000

Web Services on Devices(WSD) - Disabled

Shared Memory Card - Disabled  [This setting should prevent this problem.]

PictBridge Communication - Disabled

Bonjour - Disabled [I do not use,  or own, any Apple products with this printer so this is not needed.]

I have changed the Windows AUTOPLAY settings to 'Do Nothing', but this still occurs on all devices.

This all seemed to have started after a driver update in early September (update tuesday), but that does not explain the similarily timed start on the Fedora machine.  However, on the Fedora machine the interval is much longer, roughly every 33-35 minutes.

Any ideas, suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I discovered an answer from another vendor source.

This behavior is NOT an error or malfunction.  This behavior is intended. 

The MG7500 series is now End Of Life (EOL).  In so many other words it is a NAG feature included in the driver software.

Basically Canon wants to sell customers with EOL products a new product.

For example if the device is EOL you get the behavior I am experiencing with my Pixma MG7520 printer. The longer the printer is powered on the shorter the amount of time between messages.

If you use non-canon, or refilled canon,  ink cartridges you get a different NAG behavior, usually the annoying message "Processing....please wait awhile" that takes an increasing amount of time to expire. I think you get the idea.

I mentioned that I have one Linux machine that has the same problem.  I removed the downloaded 'CANON' driver and installed an open source driver that removed the problem behavior.  Hmmm?

I found a previous version of the Canon Drivers and forced the install on the Win10 Desktop.  The problem behavior no longer occurred.  Well, it was gone until WIndows Update discovered an outdated driver and forcibly installed an update that immediately brought back the NAG messages.

This means the NAG feature is in the Canon driver software.

[NOTE:  With a previous Windows update for 10, 8, and 7 you can no longer suppress driver or software updates, including version upgrades. This update also conincides with the timing my problem "NAG" behavior started.  If Windows Update Service can identify the connected device using the PCI ID it will install the most current licensed OEM driver, no exceptions. This is why the above action ultimately fails.]

So it would appear CANON is taking advantage of this mechanism to implement NAGware to persuade consumers to replace EOL products even though they are still functioning properly, that is until the NAGware is installed.  I also have a Powershot Camera that is EOL and now shows "SET DATA/TIME" when ever I try to transfer images via a USB cable.  The  "SET DATA/TIME" message prevents image transfer via the USB cable which causes a big inconvience. Yes, I am aware this is not related to this thread except it is another example of NAGware implemented by Canon.  These two NAG  behaviors have convienced me I do not have problems with my products instead it is a deliberate action by Canon to increase sales.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

***Update***

This device seems to be devolving.  On my windows devices the printer is triggering a new copy of the WSD Print Driver to be installed roughly every 10-12 minutes.  The printer now shows up multiple times as 'Canon MG7500 series Printer on WSD (Copy ###)'  In fact this Windows 10 Desktop has 118 copies of this printer installed via WSD.  The WIndows 7 Pro laptop only has 88 copies of the WSD driver.  

Again Web Service on Devices is still disabled on the printer.

Do I have corrupted firmware?

Is there any way to download a authenticated clean original copy of the device firmware?

Can this firmware be factory reset?

So for now  the only option was to disconnect the printer from the network.  Then delete the multiple copies of the driver from several Windows Systems.

I really do not want to purchase a new printer since Canon no longer offers a printer with an ethernet connection.
I prefer to have a printer available via the local network, but Canon printers do not support WPA3 Enterprise, or Radius Authentication for Wireless netoworks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I discovered an answer from another vendor source.

This behavior is NOT an error or malfunction.  This behavior is intended. 

The MG7500 series is now End Of Life (EOL).  In so many other words it is a NAG feature included in the driver software.

Basically Canon wants to sell customers with EOL products a new product.

For example if the device is EOL you get the behavior I am experiencing with my Pixma MG7520 printer. The longer the printer is powered on the shorter the amount of time between messages.

If you use non-canon, or refilled canon,  ink cartridges you get a different NAG behavior, usually the annoying message "Processing....please wait awhile" that takes an increasing amount of time to expire. I think you get the idea.

I mentioned that I have one Linux machine that has the same problem.  I removed the downloaded 'CANON' driver and installed an open source driver that removed the problem behavior.  Hmmm?

I found a previous version of the Canon Drivers and forced the install on the Win10 Desktop.  The problem behavior no longer occurred.  Well, it was gone until WIndows Update discovered an outdated driver and forcibly installed an update that immediately brought back the NAG messages.

This means the NAG feature is in the Canon driver software.

[NOTE:  With a previous Windows update for 10, 8, and 7 you can no longer suppress driver or software updates, including version upgrades. This update also conincides with the timing my problem "NAG" behavior started.  If Windows Update Service can identify the connected device using the PCI ID it will install the most current licensed OEM driver, no exceptions. This is why the above action ultimately fails.]

So it would appear CANON is taking advantage of this mechanism to implement NAGware to persuade consumers to replace EOL products even though they are still functioning properly, that is until the NAGware is installed.  I also have a Powershot Camera that is EOL and now shows "SET DATA/TIME" when ever I try to transfer images via a USB cable.  The  "SET DATA/TIME" message prevents image transfer via the USB cable which causes a big inconvience. Yes, I am aware this is not related to this thread except it is another example of NAGware implemented by Canon.  These two NAG  behaviors have convienced me I do not have problems with my products instead it is a deliberate action by Canon to increase sales.

Announcements