cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA TR4700 Showing Up On Wi-Fi as Nintendo Switch

EdS
Apprentice

I was recently looking at all the connected devices on my wifi.  I didn't see my printer Canon TR4700, I did see Nintendo Switch.  Thinking some kid had hacked into my wifi I blocked Nintendo Switch, then changed my I.D. & password.  I got all my other devices connected.  Saved my printer for last as it's the newest of all of them and thought it would be the easiest to connect.  Had some problems getting it to connect so I finally connected manually.  I had my app on my phone open & to the "Connected Devices" page.  So I could see exactly when the printer connected.  As soon as it connected it did pop up on the screen.  However it popped up as Ninentdo Switch.  The printer does work and I can print from both my cell or my laptop.  

The question is why would Nintendo Switch pop up instead of something like "Canon TR4700"?  And everything I've found out about Nintendo Switch is it's  a video game console.

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ricky,

My 2 Chromecasts came up as "Chromecast" my cell, laptop, printer and my Google Home Mini all came up as the device IP address.   One morning early I was playing with my phone and looked just to see the devices.  That's when I saw Nintendo Switch.  Doing a search the only thing that keeps coming up is that it's a gaming console.

As far as being able to rename I can't, the only thing I can do is set time limits for that device, as in monitoring a child's usage.

Ed

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Could it be that your particular network hardware is trying to guess at what equipment is connected to it?

With the Comcast xfinity app, it tries to guess what hardware I have connected when attaching new devices for the first time.  I haven't seen it guess incorrectly, though it will often just put some cryptic part number as the device name.  I then go in and rename it.

Do you have the ability to rename devices on your network?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Ricky,

My 2 Chromecasts came up as "Chromecast" my cell, laptop, printer and my Google Home Mini all came up as the device IP address.   One morning early I was playing with my phone and looked just to see the devices.  That's when I saw Nintendo Switch.  Doing a search the only thing that keeps coming up is that it's a gaming console.

As far as being able to rename I can't, the only thing I can do is set time limits for that device, as in monitoring a child's usage.

Ed

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Ricky's point is valid.  This wouldn't be the first time a connected device was incorrectly identified by network hardware.  

Most manufacturers do allow you to rename a connected device.  Remarkably, the Netgear device below did a good job identifying devices.  Phone, Desktop, Laptop, iPAD.  But not the TV.  It got the picture right though.   

shadowsports_0-1678594626161.png

Even if the device is incorrectly identified, it won't affect operation.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements