cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG6620 Printing blank pages, Error 1403

chornsby
Apprentice

I have had my MG6620 for several years now and it has always worked wonderfully. I print something at least once a month. For the past several months I had issues with the quality of my documents upon printing they were coming out blurry. I found if I printed under photo settings and high quality they would come out great. A few days ago I decided to print some photos on photo paper which I have not done in a very, very long time (only document printing at least once a month). My ink levels were pretty low and when I would try to print it would only print very little of the image so I went ahead and ordered some new ink. I replaced the ink today and now I'm getting blank pages regardless of what I try to print, including the test page.

The printer moves and acts as if it is printing even slowing down for detailed areas. The ink levels are dropping but no ink is making it to the paper.

I have searched all over the internet and the community for solutions to no avail. Here is what I have tried:

1. Several cleanings and deep cleanings of the nozzle, rollers, etc... every cleaning option available has been done numerous times. 
2. Manually cleaning the printhead following tutorials. 
3. Double checking all stickers have been removed from cartridges. 
4. Putting back in some of the old cartridges that still had some remaining ink to ensure I didn't receive faulty cartridge. 
5. Removing all cartridges, unplugging printer, pressing power button for 60 seconds, removing printerhead, replacing items and trying the test page. even restarted my PC. 
6. Uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. 
7. Tried printing from other devices and computer programs. 
8. Changed overall settings to a print quality of high. 
9. Unplugged printer and restarted computer several times.
10. Ran troubleshooter which only said to add my printer as the main printer, which I did. Still nothing.
11. Many print head alignments
12. Used flashlight to check for debris.
13. Made sure the paper was correct.
14. Printing different types of documents to ensure my document wasn't the problem. 
15. Made sure I'm using the correct cartridges.
16. Updated Firmware.

Am I missing something or is my expensive printer now just a paperweight?

UPDATE:

I cleaned the head again. Was able to get the test page to print successfully but it was a little off so I ran a cleaning again then the printer threw the 1403 error "the type of print head is incorrect. install the correct print head". Now I cannot get this error cleared no matter what I do.

1 REPLY 1

JayC1
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Chornsby! Thanks for posting in the Canon Community Forum. The code 1403 on the PIXMA MG6620 indicates a mechanical failure that requires service. In this case, the print head is likely damaged.

You can try reseating the print head (taking it out and putting it back in). I recommend paying attention to how the print head comes out. That will make it easier for you to put it back in. Here is a link to the instructions that will help:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART143852

If the error is not cleared after you reseat the print head, you should turn the printer off and disconnect the power cable. If the error comes back, you’ve done all you can do.

I can’t recommend purchasing a new print head to fix this issue without knowing what caused the print head to fail in the first place. If this issue was caused by a problem with the printer, then the new print head may stop working soon after you replace it. Only a repair technician would be able to determine what caused the print head to become damaged.

You mentioned that your pages were coming out blank before the error occurred. Blank pages are normally caused by clogged print head nozzles. However, you should start troubleshooting by making sure the orange tape was removed from the top of each cartridge.

The Nozzle Cleaning and Deep Cleaning options built into the printer are the only recommended solutions for that issue. It is best to wait 6-12 hours between cleanings/deep cleanings to give the fresh ink time to soak through the nozzles and loosen any clogs.

If you purchased a warranty extension (Canon CarePAK) for your printer at the time of purchase and that extension is still active, I recommend that you create a My Canon Account in the following website and register the printer:

https://myprofile.americas.canon.com/us/signin?redirect=%2Fus%2FaddProducts

After you register the printer, you’ll need to activate the Warranty Extension (CarePAK). Then, you can contact the Canon support team at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666), Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM EST.

If the printer is no longer in warranty and you want to pay for service, you can perform a web search with the key words "printer repair" and your zip code. That should pull up any electronic repair shops in your area that can service printers. We do recommend that you make sure the repair shop is reputable.

It may be more cost effective to purchase a replacement if you have had the printer for a while.

Through our Canon Upgrade Program, we can offer you a discount and free shipping on a new printer if the warranty is expired. If you are interested in that, please call (866) 443-8002 from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M. (Eastern Time), Monday through Saturday to speak with one of our sales agents who would be happy to help you.

I hope this information helps. Thanks again.

Announcements