cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA G620 Firmware failing to update

shazzieroo
Apprentice

Hello

Yesterday I started receiving the alert indicating that there is a firmware update for my printer. I ignored it as I was in the midst of printing my orders. Partway through, the paper began to not feed... so I assumed that perhaps it was going to force my hand with the update, so I went ahead and tried to do it.

HOWEVER. Every single time it just powers off in the middle, and then comes back on and says "failed to update" 

I have checked my connection, restarted, powered off and left it off, unplugged it for periods of time... I even got desperate and did a factory reset, which only got me right back to square one.

So here I sit with a printer that wont feed (I've tried a ton of fixes for that, but as I'm now pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with the firmware update after all.... I am all ears for any ideas for that too) or update.... and orders that need fulfilling. I do have a backup printer but the quality is just not the same.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue, and/or does anyone have a fix?

27 REPLIES 27

hudsonhawk1
Contributor

Just tried to update.  Same issue, and it has worked before.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

The DNS change would be temporary.  Like the route you take to the store from your house each day.  When there is construction, you take a detour.  When its complete, you go back to using the same route. It can be achieved more than one way.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Sorry to insist, but especially for a temporary change changing it at printer level is the way to go:

If the change is done at router level, it would need to be propagated to the printer.

This is done when the printer gets it's IP from the router by DHCP, except if the router is providing its own IP as DNS server.

In any cases, you're better off changing the DNS at printer level to be 100% sure the change is immediate and does not affect other devices.

Also, helping people do this change on a canon printer would be easier than helping them do it on a variety of routers for obvious reasons (a lot of different brands, interfaces, passwords, etc)

I'm stopping there as it's really not the point of this thread and would like to thank you for the detailled help message you sent, my idea was not to discard it but just to specify that there was an easier option and that in this specific case it was not solving the issue.

Thanks again and sorry it I appeared as needlessly controversial.

No apology needed.  Agree there are multiple ways to achieve the change.  😊

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

LoveAutumn
Apprentice

It keeps failing on my printer as well. I turned off the auto updates because he kept trying to update and kept failing. I tried to update it manually from the printer but I keep getting a "Failed to Update".

hudsonhawk1
Contributor

I updated my printer DNS to Google's open DNS server (8.8.8.8) with no success with the update.

This is clearly a bug and an issue. Has anyone opened a ticket or called support?

I contacted the European support (living in Spain, the G620 is sold as G650 there so I can't open a ticket to the US support.

But yes, I would advise you all to open tickets. that's the best way for this to get visibility.

Now I'm hoping a new firmware update will solve it, cause I don't think a website issue would stay that long unsolved.

Maybe a corrupted firmare uploaded on their side?

No idea.

SmirkingFox47
Apprentice

I am having this same issue.  I just got off the phone with "product support."  They instructed me to do two Roller Cleanings with no paper in, then do one with paper in.  The same jam occurred.

They insist there is no relation to the firmware update and the printer issue, but I think it is strange that we are both having the same issue.

I asked why the firmware is not updating and they said that we can't print out LAN information because my printer won't print.  They said the wi-fi strength might not be strong (which is not the case - I am at full signal), and then suggested that I upgrade my printer!  Ha!  I don't think so.

If anyone has any solution, I will give it a try!

As far as I understand there's a specific message for when the printer can't reach the update server, which is not what's happening here.
Seems that the update process is failing, not the download itself.
Got an answer as well from the european support by email but it was pretty worthless at the moment, they just pointed me to the instructions to update the firmware.
They didn't seem to understand I wouldn't have seen this message if I didn't follow those instructions first.
I'm now waiting for their answer again...

Ok. It's wild how similar our issues are. In fact... identical. It feels like an interesting coincidence if it's not related. 

Upgrade your printer? Oops, they said the inside words out loud. Starting to seem like that was the whole point of this firmware update!

Announcements