cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA G620 Firmware failing to update

shazzieroo
Apprentice

Hello

Yesterday I started receiving the alert indicating that there is a firmware update for my printer. I ignored it as I was in the midst of printing my orders. Partway through, the paper began to not feed... so I assumed that perhaps it was going to force my hand with the update, so I went ahead and tried to do it.

HOWEVER. Every single time it just powers off in the middle, and then comes back on and says "failed to update" 

I have checked my connection, restarted, powered off and left it off, unplugged it for periods of time... I even got desperate and did a factory reset, which only got me right back to square one.

So here I sit with a printer that wont feed (I've tried a ton of fixes for that, but as I'm now pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with the firmware update after all.... I am all ears for any ideas for that too) or update.... and orders that need fulfilling. I do have a backup printer but the quality is just not the same.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue, and/or does anyone have a fix?

20 REPLIES 20

Camper
Apprentice

I'm also having the same issue with the updating, ended up shutting down auto update so that it doesn't keep trying to update when it keeps failing.  You may need to do a cleaning as far as the feeding of paper.

I do feel better knowing that others are having the same issue (I've seen at least one other that brought it up) Perhaps there will be a fix coming out.

Yeah... I've been doing roller cleanings... manual cleanings... even took the back off and got a better look. I'm sure it's something like that... just nada worked so far! 🤷‍♀️

I also am having same problem updating the firmware with "Failed to update" message. It worked fine a couple of months ago when I updated firmware using the exact same method. I believe Canon has lot of problems with firmware updates for all of their products based on what I have read from many Canon camera, lens and printer users. I don't think I will ever update the firmware on any Canon product again until after a couple of months so they could fix any problems that may come up after the initial release of a firmware update.

Just wondering if you have replaced your ink tank bottles yet. If so, did you use Canon brand or third party generic bottle refills? I haven't replaced mine yet and was interested in what other owners might be using. Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

I have not replaced them yet but I did buy the red and black Canon brand since I seem to be going through the black and red first.  For the amount of usage I got from the initial bottles it's not too expensive to replace with Canon brand, I've had it set up about two and a half years so far.  But I also have a laser printer for some of my printing so I'm not just relying on the inkjet.

Same. I turned off the auto update as well. Tried manual update but still failed.

Murmelantes
Contributor

Hello, same issue with a G650.
(the firmware update, not the feeding)
I tried restoring to factory defaults, changing the DNS just in case, leaving it unplugged...
No changes.
Really hoping it's a global issue and not something specific to our printers.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Firmware updates are not required and will not keep you from printing if they are ignored or postponed.  While some make operational changes or feature additions, most (for printers) are released to address security vulnerabilities.  

A printer has to have Internet connectivity (wired or wireless) in order to receive a firmware update notification or the update itself.  Updates for printers connected via USB have to be updated using the firmware update utility.  This can be found on the products support portal.  This (manual) method can also be used for wired or wireless devices, but a cable and direct connection to a computer is required.

Reasons why a firmware update may not complete successfully.

-Update servers are busy or temporarily unavailable.

-DNS issues. I've heard from others that using a public DNS on your router can allow your printer's firmware update to complete successfully.  Examples of public DNS servers are Google 8.8.8.8 or cloud flare 1.1.1.1.  These changes can be made on your router.  

Paper feeding issues can be caused by the type or brand of paper being used.  Dirty rollers, broken teeth on a feeder wheel or foreign materials such as torn page corners left behind when a paper jam is forcefully removed.  Sometimes a flashlight helps to see something left behind.  A lightly dampend cloth is usually helpful to keep rollers cleaned.  If they are really dirty, Qtips with a little alcohol can clean rollers caked with paper pulp.  

Depending on age or use some parts can wear out.  Canon has a parts order desk that can help with replacement parts, feed rollers, etc.  

Canon Parts Order Desk at (866) 481-2569
Weekdays from 9 AM - 7 PM, ET.

Hope this helps.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

The issue is that while they're not required, once detected they interfere with the normal use of the printer (turning off the printer requires you to confirm you want to update or not, etc.)
Turning off the automatic updating doesn't seem to correct this behavior.

Regarding DNS, I would strongly advise to modify them on the printer itself and not on your router, as this could break provider specific services, like VOD, etc.
Most probably you won't have any issues, but this is to keep in mind and should be done only if you know what you're doing, as this would affect all other connected devices to solve an issue on a specific one.
It's fairly easy to change the DNS directly on the printer, so that's what I would recommend.

Regarding using USB to update firmware, unless I'm confused this is not a possibility on those models.

So we're left with the hope that the issue is caused by update servers beeing busy or down.
It would be nice to have a confirmation, but in the meantime the only relief I found was seeing that other people were affected.

I tried wired with one computer and wireless with another computer and my phone and directly on the G620.  No matter what way I try to update the firmware it fails. I shut off auto update just so it would stop trying constantly.

Announcements