cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG7520 will not stay on

Englishguy24601
Apprentice

My cannon MG7520 printer will turn on and start to go through its normal routine, but then unexpectedly turns off. The power cord has been checked, unplugged and replugged. Same result. Looking for other solutions if there are any.    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SamanthaW

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.  A firmware update is available to fully resolve this issue.   You can download the firmware update and find easy installation instructions at canon.us/power.

View solution in original post

94 REPLIES 94

gJohn
Apprentice

My MG7520 stopped today 5/31/2022   I tried to call canon and they would NOT talk to me because its out of warranty.  My Epson scanner stopped for me today also.   I have an Asus RT-AC88u router.   Makes me think the router is the problem????

Contributor

This worked for me. Basically change the Web Service DNS IP address to a local IP. Here’s the link with instructions:

Web Service’s DNS IP fix 

safren9939
Apprentice

I just experienced the same problem on a Canon MG7520.  Its power cord had been unplugged for several days and when I plugged it back in to the wall, it began its startup routine but never came up fully.  It just lingered for a while spinning some of the motors while 'canon' was displayed on the screen, then turned off.  No amount of button pressing, power cycling, unplugging/plugging power cord, etc., corrected the issue.

From some of the other posts I gather that it may be something to do with wireless connection - and if you switch off your router and power printer up with USB connection to your computer, it will work.  I'll give that a try later (once I find the USB cable), but unless Canon provides a fix, I'll probably have to buy another printer. 

I doubt I'll be buying a Canon printer though.  This smacks of planned obsolescence, either that or just sloppy inattention to whatever broken 'phone-home' feature is likely to blame.  The printer worked fine for years and given all the other corroborating posts the past day or so, it's hard to see how this isn't a common issue.  It's also clear from the posts about trouble getting support from Canon that it's probably pointless trying to get help from them on this.

If you can temporary disconnect from the internet and change one DNS setting from the printer menu, you’ll be back in business:

Web Service’s DNS IP Fix 

Thanks.  That works great.  Unfortunate that Canon seems to be completely disinterested in the problem. Clearly their problem. Also, wondering what unintended consequences might result from not having a valid DNS address specified.

I’ll be honest…I’m not sure? But I know that Google cloud printing has been discontinued since 12/2020 so if you were using that, it’s already done. I never setup the available web services so I don’t think I’ll miss anything. Hopefully Canon will have an official fix or explanation but considering how they have handled this, I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Found this article, part of which suggests Canon is looking at it:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/1/23150498/canon-pixma-printer-reboot-loop-mx492-solution

That’s cool! At least there should be an official fix.

Its funny…the IP address that I replaced was my Router IP so It looks like they were using it as a default value in manual setup. Hmm….

craftyme
Contributor

Okay so this is how I made my printer work... I went into to my router settings, found my printer and there was a pause button. I hit that then turned on my printer.  Yippee! it stayed on.  I have a laptop which I attached a printer cable to.  When I went to print I had to choose a different printer setting for the Canon printer with the printer cable.  And yippee it printed!  Not happy that I have to hard wire my printer but I don't want to buy a new printer! Not very good reviews on setting up HP printers so hopefully I'll hear about Canon fixing this issue.  Don't want to buy another Canon printer either.

I believe the 'Pause' button is unique to the Google wifi router. Not sure if other routers have the equivalent option, since I noticed that the old 'Google WiFi' app didn't have it. Only in the Google home app.

Announcements