cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG5520 with support code 1405

Trailider5
Apprentice

I am getting Support code 1405 "The type of print head is incorrect". I have changed all the cartridges, power cycled the unit, removed the power for 30 minutes. This unit appears to be dead. Any clues??

9 REPLIES 9

James_C

Hi Trailider5,

The 1405 error is an indication that your PIXMA MG5520 does not detect the printhead.  Please follow these steps to try to resolve this issue:

1.  Confirm that the printer is powered on.

2.  Pull open the paper output tray.

3.  Lift the scanning unit (printer cover) completely. The print head will move to the replacement position.

4.  Open the inner cover.

5.  Remove the ink tanks by pressing the tab of each tank.

6.  Raise the print head lock lever.

7.  Tilt the print head slightly towards the front of the machine and lift out gently.

8.  Place the print head in the print head holder and lower the print head lock lever carefully until you hear a click.

9.  Insert ink tanks into the print head.

10.  Press the mark <PUSH> on the ink tank firmly until you hear a click.

11.  Ensure that all the ink tanks are installed properly and the ink tank lamps light red.

12.  Close the inner cover and the scanning unit/printer cover.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I went through this procedure 5 times, but still get the error code. Is there anything else that might solve this issue?

Hello Trailider5,

If you've followed the above procedures and still require assistance, you'll want to reach out to our US-based technical support team. They're available by phone during the week at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) or by email anytime at http://Canon.us/EmailCF

I have a Cannon Pixma 892 = none of those "suggested" workarounds actually work. In fact the one that says to lift and start the printer with the printer head in the middle is the worst!!! after that step the Canon printer is totally dead = and believe me I tried everything. Shame on Canon for such little support and steroptipic / boilerplate answers good for nothing. They have a really big bug here which happens on many models considering all people posting about the exact same issue!!!

I've had my printer for more than one year, therefore the number you provided will not let me reach Technical Support to ask one simple question, "Where is the print head lock lever?" If I could find that, then I would proceed to Step 7. Thanks

6. Raise the print head lock lever.
Where is the lever?

Problem solved. Bought a Brother brand printer. It's a black and white laser printer with no cartridges. Works great

6.  Raise the print head lock lever.

Where is this located?!?  

Announcements