Hello there. I'm new here. I'm not very good with computers or computer technology.
I have a Canon MX492 printer/fax/scanner. I have a MaBook Pro laptop. It's very urgent that I scan some documents to lawyer.
I have done EXACTLY what the online manual says and nothing happens! I called the Canon number twice and talked to two very nice gentlemen but I could not even unsterstand them (their accents) and I just thanked them for trying to help me and hung up.
I haven't been able to figure out how to print wirelessly on this thing. But tonight I just need to scan some papers and make them go into my laptop, so I can email them to my lawyer by the time she arrives in the morning. This is my last attempt.
If anyone can help me with some step by step Sesame Street level instructions, I would really appreciate it.
Solved! Go to Solution.
To try and get the printer working on your computer, I would like to have you reset the printing system on your Mac, then reinstall the drivers and software. Once the drivers and software are reinstalled, we can attempt to scan.
Prior to resetting the printing system, we will want to ensure that the printer is connected to your wireless network. To do this, please follow the steps shown here.
Once the printer is conected to your network, please reset the printing system on your Mac by following these steps:
1. From your APPLE MENU, select SYSTEM PREFERENCES.
2. Click PRINTERS & SCANNERS
3. Hold down the CONTROL key as you click in the list at the left, then choose RESET PRINTING SYSTEM from the menu that appears.
Once the printing system has been reset, please click here to go to the Drivers and Downloads page for the PIXMA MX492. Once on the page, please do the following:
1. Verify that the operating system detected in the "OPERATING SYSTEM" field is correct, and if it is not, please click the drop-down menu to select your operating system. Please note that you may need to scroll up or down in the list to select your operating system.
2. Next, below the red box labeled DRIVERS, locate the FULL DRIVER AND SOFTWARE PACKAGE file, then click the SELECT button to the right of the filename. When you do, a red DOWNLOAD button will appear; please click on that button to start the file download.
3. Once you have downloaded the FULL DRIVER AND SOFTWARE PACKAGE file from the website, please also download all other items from the DRIVERS section of the webpage, and the IJ SCAN UTILITY and CANON IJ NETWORK TOOL from the SOFTWARE section of the webpage.
4. Once all items have been downloaded, please double-click on each of the items on your Mac to install them in the following order:
Full Driver and Software Package file
IJ Scan Utility
Canon IJ Network Tool
Once all items have been installed, please restart your Mac and attempt to scan by following these steps:
1. Place the documents you want to scan in the ADF of the printer.
2. Please go to the GO menu of Finder, select APPLICATIONS, then double-click the CANON UTILITIES folder, IJ SCAN UTILITY folder, then CANON IJ SCAN UTILITY icon to start the IJ Scan Utility.
3. In the Canon IJ Scan Utility window that opens, click SETTINGS.... in the bottom right of the window. The Settings dialog box appears.
4. Click the DOCUMENT SCAN option on the left pane of the window, then set the item size, resolution, etc. as required.
5. Ensure that the DOCUMENT (ADF/SIMPLEX) option is selected in the Select Source field in the SCAN OPTIONS section. If you want to scan a document from a two-sided original, please select the DOCUMENT (ADF DUPLEX) option.
6. In the SAVE SETTINGS section of the window, you will select the save format and location of the document you are about to scan.
a.) In the FILE NAME field, specify the name you would like to give the file. By default the filename will begin with IMG; you can remove IMG and change it to whatever you would like to name the file.
b.) In the DATA FORMAT field, use the drop-down arrow to select the PDF (Multiple Pages) option.
c.) In the SAVE IN field, please navigate to the area where you would like the file to be saved once it is scanned in. By default, the file will be saved in the MY DOCUMENTS or DOCUMENTS folder.
7. Once all settings have been selected, click the OK button at the bottom of the SETTINGS (DOCUMENT SCAN) window. The IJ Scan Utility main screen appears.
8. Click the DOCUMENT button. Scanning starts. Click the CANCEL button to cancel scanning if needed. Scanned images are saved in previously selected folder location specified in the SETTINGS... window.
Please note that if you want to scan photos, you would follow the steps above, except for instead of selecting the DOCUMENT SCAN option, you would select the PHOTO SCAN option in step 4, and you would click on the PHOTO button in step 8 instead of the DOCUMENT button. Also, please do not load photos in the ADF of the printer, as they may jam and become damaged; we recommend loading photos directly on the platen glass of the printer.
Hope this helps! Should you still experience difficulty, we ask that you please contact a Canon technical support representative here for further assistance. A representative will be happy to assist you free of charge.
You guys should recall this product.
This is one of the most sub-par printers on the market today.
I love canon cameras but the Canon Pixma MX492 printer is a horrible printer. It does not represent the canon company well at all.
The Display screen is not even lit. You can's see what the display says at all.
The drivers should be pre-installed (plug and play) in this day and age. Your customers shouldn't have to look the web over to find your drivers to get the printer to do basic out of the box functions.
Why is this printer still on the shelves of Office Max in 2017-2018?
My brand new pc doesn't even recognize the device when I plug the usb into it.
The software drivers should prompt at plug in, they don't. It should come pre-loaded.
Simple things like scanning a document takes a technical forum to figure out. Why?
I didn't but it of course. My dear old mother bought this product (because I wasn't with her).
She simply needs to scan a document your printer takes a technical degree to scan a document.
I am very computer savy person and It takes me going to read your old forums and download drivers and other utility folders and the printer still won't respond well. THE USER INTERFACE IS A JOKE.
The basic printer function and user interface of the Canon Pixa MX492 is from the early 1990s.
Do actually expect a normal person to do all of those ridculous steps (over 20) in your explanation post above to download 4 different utilities folders and drivers and having to go thru another 8 step process JUST TO SCAN A DOCUMENT!!!!
Why would you even retail this product?
If you are having difficulties with your product, please contact our support group for assistance with your issues. Please use the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.
This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.
I'm glad I found this..thank you for the step by step. However, I wish it had been clear at step 3 that this reset resets ALL printers on your computer! I'll now have to spend likely a couple hours going around to the different IT departments to get all my printers set back up. Had I known that, I would have gone about this differently.
If you are scanning with IJ Scan Utility, the "Document" button will automatically scan in PDF.
Press the Windows Search button in the lower left of your screen.
Type "IJ Scan Utility" in the search box.
Open IJ Scan Utility.
Place your original.
Press the "Document" button.
This didn't answer your question or issue? Please contact us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.