cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I make my Canon MX492 scan a document into my laptop?

BlackieChan6
Contributor

Hello there. I'm new here. I'm not very good with computers or computer technology. 

I have a Canon MX492 printer/fax/scanner. I have a MaBook Pro laptop. It's very urgent that I scan some documents to lawyer.

I have done EXACTLY what the online manual says and nothing happens! I called the Canon number twice and talked to two very nice gentlemen but I could not even unsterstand them (their accents) and I just thanked them for trying to help me and hung up.

I haven't been able to figure out how to print wirelessly on this thing. But tonight I just need to scan some papers and make them go into my laptop, so I can email them to my lawyer by the time she arrives in the morning. This is my last attempt. 

If anyone can help me with some step by step Sesame Street level instructions, I would really appreciate it. 

Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello,

To try and get the printer working on your computer, I would like to have you reset the printing system on your Mac, then reinstall the drivers and software.  Once the drivers and software are reinstalled, we can attempt to scan.  

Prior to resetting the printing system, we will want to ensure that the printer is connected to your wireless network.  To do this, please follow the steps shown here.  

Once the printer is conected to your network, please reset the printing system on your Mac by following these steps:

1. From your APPLE MENU, select SYSTEM PREFERENCES.

2. Click PRINTERS & SCANNERS

3. Hold down the CONTROL key as you click in the list at the left, then choose RESET PRINTING SYSTEM from the menu that appears.

Once the printing system has been reset, please click here to go to the Drivers and Downloads page for the PIXMA MX492.  Once on the page, please do the following:

1. Verify that the operating system detected in the "OPERATING SYSTEM" field is correct, and if it is not, please click the drop-down menu to select your operating system. Please note that you may need to scroll up or down in the list to select your operating system.

2. Next, below the red box labeled DRIVERS, locate the FULL DRIVER AND SOFTWARE PACKAGE file, then click the SELECT button to the right of the filename. When you do, a red DOWNLOAD button will appear; please click on that button to start the file download.

3.  Once you have downloaded the FULL DRIVER AND SOFTWARE PACKAGE file from the website, please also download all other items from the DRIVERS section of the webpage, and the IJ SCAN UTILITY and CANON IJ NETWORK TOOL from the SOFTWARE section of the webpage.

4.  Once all items have been downloaded, please double-click on each of the items on your Mac to install them in the following order:

Full Driver and Software Package file
CUPS Drivers
ICA Drivers
IJ Scan Utility
Canon IJ Network Tool

Once all items have been installed, please restart your Mac and attempt to scan by following these steps:

1. Place the documents you want to scan in the ADF of the printer.

2. Please go to the GO menu of Finder, select APPLICATIONS, then double-click the CANON UTILITIES folder, IJ SCAN UTILITY folder, then CANON IJ SCAN UTILITY icon to start the IJ Scan Utility.

3. In the Canon IJ Scan Utility window that opens, click SETTINGS.... in the bottom right of the window. The Settings dialog box appears.

4. Click the DOCUMENT SCAN option on the left pane of the window, then set the item size, resolution, etc. as required.

5. Ensure that the DOCUMENT (ADF/SIMPLEX) option is selected in the Select Source field in the SCAN OPTIONS section. If you want to scan a document from a two-sided original, please select the DOCUMENT (ADF DUPLEX) option.

6. In the SAVE SETTINGS section of the window, you will select the save format and location of the document you are about to scan.

a.) In the FILE NAME field, specify the name you would like to give the file. By default the filename will begin with IMG; you can remove IMG and change it to whatever you would like to name the file.

b.) In the DATA FORMAT field, use the drop-down arrow to select the PDF (Multiple Pages) option.

c.) In the SAVE IN field, please navigate to the area where you would like the file to be saved once it is scanned in. By default, the file will be saved in the MY DOCUMENTS or DOCUMENTS folder.

7. Once all settings have been selected, click the OK button at the bottom of the SETTINGS (DOCUMENT SCAN) window. The IJ Scan Utility main screen appears.

8. Click the DOCUMENT button. Scanning starts. Click the CANCEL button to cancel scanning if needed. Scanned images are saved in previously selected folder location specified in the SETTINGS... window.

Please note that if you want to scan photos, you would follow the steps above, except for instead of selecting the DOCUMENT SCAN option, you would select the PHOTO SCAN option in step 4, and you would click on the PHOTO button in step 8 instead of the DOCUMENT button. Also, please do not load photos in the ADF of the printer, as they may jam and become damaged; we recommend loading photos directly on the platen glass of the printer.

Hope this helps!  Should you still experience difficulty, we ask that you please contact a Canon technical support representative here for further assistance. A representative will be happy to assist you free of charge.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Jason
Whiz

Hello,

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

You may need to download the updated drivers and software from our website. You can find these by clicking HERE.

Also, regarding our support, our team is 100% U.S. based and full of friendly reps who are always happy to help. Make sure you have reached our official team by calling 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

We hope this helps and that you will be up and scanning soon!

I have downloaded the new thingy and still can't get this puppy to scan to computer,  I have WiFi and nothing.  Not happy !!!!

obviously I have done that and nothing!!!

I don't even know what a driver is but I tried to download it. I don't know if it downloaded or not. I cannot be more angry. I just don't see how you can do exactly as instructed and it still won't scan. 

Hi,

Thanks for the updated information. We don't want you to be frustrated and want to help!

Which version of the Mac operating system are you running (ex. 10.8, 10.9)? You can double check by clicking on the Apple icon in the top-left corner and choosing 'About this Mac.'

If this is a time-sensitive matter, we're confident our friendly U.S.-based support team can ensure you are scanning at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks!

It shows:

macOS Sierra

Version 10.12.3
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010)

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk Macintosh SSHD

Gpraphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB

Intel HD Graphics 288 MB

Hello,

To try and get the printer working on your computer, I would like to have you reset the printing system on your Mac, then reinstall the drivers and software.  Once the drivers and software are reinstalled, we can attempt to scan.  

Prior to resetting the printing system, we will want to ensure that the printer is connected to your wireless network.  To do this, please follow the steps shown here.  

Once the printer is conected to your network, please reset the printing system on your Mac by following these steps:

1. From your APPLE MENU, select SYSTEM PREFERENCES.

2. Click PRINTERS & SCANNERS

3. Hold down the CONTROL key as you click in the list at the left, then choose RESET PRINTING SYSTEM from the menu that appears.

Once the printing system has been reset, please click here to go to the Drivers and Downloads page for the PIXMA MX492.  Once on the page, please do the following:

1. Verify that the operating system detected in the "OPERATING SYSTEM" field is correct, and if it is not, please click the drop-down menu to select your operating system. Please note that you may need to scroll up or down in the list to select your operating system.

2. Next, below the red box labeled DRIVERS, locate the FULL DRIVER AND SOFTWARE PACKAGE file, then click the SELECT button to the right of the filename. When you do, a red DOWNLOAD button will appear; please click on that button to start the file download.

3.  Once you have downloaded the FULL DRIVER AND SOFTWARE PACKAGE file from the website, please also download all other items from the DRIVERS section of the webpage, and the IJ SCAN UTILITY and CANON IJ NETWORK TOOL from the SOFTWARE section of the webpage.

4.  Once all items have been downloaded, please double-click on each of the items on your Mac to install them in the following order:

Full Driver and Software Package file
CUPS Drivers
ICA Drivers
IJ Scan Utility
Canon IJ Network Tool

Once all items have been installed, please restart your Mac and attempt to scan by following these steps:

1. Place the documents you want to scan in the ADF of the printer.

2. Please go to the GO menu of Finder, select APPLICATIONS, then double-click the CANON UTILITIES folder, IJ SCAN UTILITY folder, then CANON IJ SCAN UTILITY icon to start the IJ Scan Utility.

3. In the Canon IJ Scan Utility window that opens, click SETTINGS.... in the bottom right of the window. The Settings dialog box appears.

4. Click the DOCUMENT SCAN option on the left pane of the window, then set the item size, resolution, etc. as required.

5. Ensure that the DOCUMENT (ADF/SIMPLEX) option is selected in the Select Source field in the SCAN OPTIONS section. If you want to scan a document from a two-sided original, please select the DOCUMENT (ADF DUPLEX) option.

6. In the SAVE SETTINGS section of the window, you will select the save format and location of the document you are about to scan.

a.) In the FILE NAME field, specify the name you would like to give the file. By default the filename will begin with IMG; you can remove IMG and change it to whatever you would like to name the file.

b.) In the DATA FORMAT field, use the drop-down arrow to select the PDF (Multiple Pages) option.

c.) In the SAVE IN field, please navigate to the area where you would like the file to be saved once it is scanned in. By default, the file will be saved in the MY DOCUMENTS or DOCUMENTS folder.

7. Once all settings have been selected, click the OK button at the bottom of the SETTINGS (DOCUMENT SCAN) window. The IJ Scan Utility main screen appears.

8. Click the DOCUMENT button. Scanning starts. Click the CANCEL button to cancel scanning if needed. Scanned images are saved in previously selected folder location specified in the SETTINGS... window.

Please note that if you want to scan photos, you would follow the steps above, except for instead of selecting the DOCUMENT SCAN option, you would select the PHOTO SCAN option in step 4, and you would click on the PHOTO button in step 8 instead of the DOCUMENT button. Also, please do not load photos in the ADF of the printer, as they may jam and become damaged; we recommend loading photos directly on the platen glass of the printer.

Hope this helps!  Should you still experience difficulty, we ask that you please contact a Canon technical support representative here for further assistance. A representative will be happy to assist you free of charge.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

First, let me say THANK YOU for the step by step instructions. 

I am stuck. I finished step 4 (I guess) and there's a box on the top left that says Setup. It has a blue arrow going through a CD. What do I do?

Well, it worked but WOW! Will I have to go through all that each and everytime I want to scan something? I scanned one page (for a test). I have 14 documants to scan. 

Announcements