cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

whitexplorer
Apprentice

I have a same issue with MG5320. If I get a new head, will it fix the issue?

Your question has been answered many times in the previous 80+ pages.  NO

A new printer head will be a waste of money.  And contacting Canon themselves will be a waste of time.

Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

Despite what Aardvark tells you, a cheap replacenment printhead worked for me.  See page 86 for details.  I have put almost 500 sheets through the printer since, so it has worked just fine for me.  More effective than e-mailing Canon, or than changing to another brand, likely to be just as problematic.

It cost me very little to get my MX870 working again, to use the 2 bulk packs of cartridges i had just bought.

No guarantee that this will work for anyone else, but it did for me.

Tony B

Hobart, Tasmania

wiredefx
Enthusiast
Well, I think I found the problem with my MP560. Was chatting with a repair center, they have found that in about 70% of these units the temp sensors were going bad. So I got mine out of the junk pile and took it apart and removed the sensors. Now I have to find someone to test them.
Evidently, if the sensor can't take the ink temp, the head can't heat the ink so the cpu faults out the print head for not doing its job. Poof U052. Will update once I get these tested.

My mg5460 also has the "Wrong Printhead " error message. Looks like I will not be buying any more Canon Products

I have a MX882. It has been a really strong and great printer for like three years, and then, I got the U052 error. Cleaned the head, etc. but nothing changed.

What gets me is this totally shutsdown the entire unit. The user should at least have an option to override the error or at the VERY least be able to use the scanner. 

Honestly, I understand stuff breaks and wears out, but I probably wont' buy another canon.

peddlersroost
Apprentice

I have just spent a horrible time trying to remove, reinsert, power off, power on, restart and reset my Canon Pixma MP610 which quit in the middle of my printing job. I too received the U052 wrong printhead error. I was very confused because I am using the same ink cartridges I always use. So after wasting three new cartridges and still getting the same error, I could have chewed my finger nails off. I use this printer EVERY day. My husband recommended I inquire, through Canon, if this was a known problem. I couldn't believe what I found on this site! Are you serious Canon!!!!! You all know about this? Do you build in a self-destruct module? My printer is not yet two years old and now I can't use it! I am furious. I am going to ditch my Canon printer, which I have enjoyed, because of your lack of concern for basic customer service. I don't have time to wait around until this error is figured our. Amazon.com, here I come. I'll be up and running in two days. Shame on you Canon! You need to make this right. I will not ever (say "never") purchase or recommend another Canon product!

Sign me:

Disgusted X-Canon Customer

Continued from previous email-

I think, after doing some reading, I am understanding what has happened. Everyone knows the printers are not the expense, the ink is. I find out that printers are now made to use inks specifically manufactured by the company- ie Epson printer uses Epson inks and will not work with other cartridges or remanufactured cartridges, etc. I have been reading about the chips that reset the page counters? Not sure I am understanding it all as I am not a techie. I do know that Epson says their printers are configured to take only Epson inks and will not work with third party ink cartridges! So a compatible ink pack for an Epson printer may be only $5.95 on Amazon, but the Epson made ink pack for the same printer, on Amazon,  will cost $53.00+. Yes, I know the inks are not the same. I am not running a business. It is the difference between being able to enjoy printing what I want when I want or feeling severely restricted because of ink replacement costs. Has Canon found a way to suddenly tell my Pixma MP610 to not accept the third party inks I have ALWAYS used??? Would my Canon Pixma work again, once new and expensive Canon ink cartridges have been purchased and installed? Probably. What a bummer. I am thoroughly disgusted with the whole thing. Greed, greed, greed. Wish I could get along without a printer altogether!

P.S. I am currently looking into possible replacements, but I do think this is going to be the case for all major printer companies now. They must get ALL of their money you know.

Don't waste your money. I thought the same thing. I went out and bought $100 of Canon ink cartridges and still didn't work. I could have bought a new printer instead. Arrrgggghhh.

wiredefx
Enthusiast
cfOH, They seem to usually fail after 2 years. There are a few on here that are less but they were still not taken care of. Well, they were offered 40% off list price for s new model. But 40% off LIST price is still higher than retail price. Some have fallen for that as well thinking they were getting a deal, when they were just being taken on ride #2 by canon. I like my new HP.
Announcements