cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

cfOH
Contributor

I bought my PIXMA MP830 about 8 years ago and it's been used maybe twice a week on average, mostly for scanning, in my office at work. Walked into my office this morning to see the error "The type of print head is incorrect. Install the correct print head." Well how the heck did the wrong type of print head suddenly get installed in my 8-year-old printer?? It was working fine yesterday, but now none of the "fixes" do anything, regardless of there being any cartridges installed.

This is really frustrating. The printer appears to be physically just fine, so having it fail in an inexplicable fashion is aggravating.

alejandrasulay
Contributor
I demand a free repair! You are doing nothing about this issue as I can see it's been years long since people have had it. You clearly don't care at all!!

terabhrava
Apprentice

Just had my mx860 report the U052 error, already tried the suggested solutions including cleaning the printhead, but no luck. Too bad, there's still no solution from Canon for this problem.

jitsupa
Apprentice

I have the same issue with my MG5370. It's really frustrated as I've tried all steps to resolve the issue that I could find on the internet. I sent it back to Canon and they kept it for 3 months. Once they sent it back, the first thing I saw is the same error message. Really dissapointed and I think the only solution here is changing the brand. I've tried EPSON while waiting for them to fix my MG5370. It works really well and I don't think I'll ever use Canon again. 

Tash
Apprentice
Me too.

mfy
Apprentice

My Canon MP640 suddenly gave the U052 error. Despite various efforts I can not get it out of this "printhead error" state. I dont know what do - other than buying another non-Canon printer.

DonnaB
Apprentice

I have error U052 on my MG5220 and naturally I just ordered $80 worth of ink......

Wlaci
Apprentice

You can add an MG5100 to the list.

I have had the appliance for 2 years, was about to instrall my 3rd set of cartridges, so you can imagine how much I have been using it, when U052 hit me. I can hear some weird clicking noise like 3 times when the cart is being moved at startup, but physically everything seems to be in order. I tried all the possible fixes circulated in these forums, nothing works, and of course I cannot even use the scanner, because you cannot skip the error message.

I paid 80EUR for printing 300 pages? That doesnt sound like a proper deal.

I say sue them every way you can, otherwise they will never start caring again.

For the life of me I cant explain why I didnt go for HP and now Im stuck with this piece of crap.

cfOH
Contributor
What I don't understand is why an incorrect print head error would keep me from being able to use the scanning functions. That's what I used mostly anyway.

And yes, I said used, as in past-tense. I replaced the printer with a non-Canon unit. Bye, Canon.

amhamm73
Apprentice

I have this same error.  I have been trying to find out how to fix it.  I loved this printer and do not want to have to get a new one.  Did Canon finally find a way to fix this?  I have the MG5220.  Never had any problems until now.

Announcements