cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

wiredefx
Enthusiast
You mean, 820 messages that haven't been removed by an admin.

A very good point. Probably closer to a thousand counting all those posters who dared to approach the truth too closely.
Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

pagiles
Apprentice

Just wasted over $100 on a replacement print head.  Made no ddifference,  still got the dreaded 0051 message.   Last canon printer I am going to buy  and I will mke sure none of my friends buys one either. Mx 700 down the drain and mp 700 like wise.  I am really peed off  Phil

I am sorry you had to find out the hard way, but if you had taken the time to read the previous posts here you would have known that buying a new printer head would not work. Others have tried and others have cried.

Benick
Apprentice
Pixma MG5220 failed with a U052 code today. What to do with those 8 unopened cartridges and a set almost full in the machine. I probably paid as much for the ink as the printer.

I had an idea. Such a shame it would cost so much. What if all the hundreds of people with this problem sent their now useless Canon printers to the CEO's home address?

sgs7722
Apprentice

I have my MX892 for 2 years and all of a sudden I got a U052 out of the blue. Removed print head, cleaned it, power off and nothing works. Called Customer Service and they had me do the same thing that i had already did. Their next suggestion was take it to a Canon dealer. If i am going to spend more money then I paid for the printer just for in print head error, I might as well go and buy a new printer. If so, I might have to go with another company. I can't afford to be buying a new printer every  years. And the sad thing about it is, that I been using Canon for years. That is the only  printer that i ever used. My husband has the MX5220.

So I tweeted to @CanonUSA on Twitter a couple of times about this problem, giving them a link to this thread, and nothing...not a peep from them. It's like Canon has decided this problem doesn't exist.

Well, I'll post back here with what printer I got to replace my MP830. After this customer service disaster, it won't be a Canon.

tpmcleod24
Apprentice

MG5320, Incorrect print head error, reseat and power cycle did not work.

See my response, page 86.  New CHEAP printhead has worked fine for me

Regards,

Tony B

Announcements