cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

SupraTico
Contributor
LOL! This kid sitting there waiting for us to post has no life.

OK, I'm sorry Moderator - please let me know what I did 🙂

I originally posted here a few months ago when I first got the dreaded U052 message.  Was at first hoping for guidance on fixing the problem, then when that failed hoped for guidance on a possible Canon fix/replacement.  I quickly realized there was no hope to this and went out and bought a new Epson (that I am quite happy with)

But by posting here, I have been getting continued updates of everyone continuing to add posts about this issue.  What really amazes me is the number of people that seem to have made this issue a vendeta on their part, hoping to shame Canon into doing something about this.

My recommendation.  Get over it.  Do like I did.  Resolve that you will never again puchase another Canon printer, tell all friends and associates that Canon printers are crap.  Then go out purchase a different brand printer and go on with your life.  No one is reading this forum other than people like yourself that have already had this issue.  Continuing to respond to posts here will have no effect.

If you want to have an effect. Go to a site like Amazon where people actually go to review ratings prior to purchase and blast away at Canon there.  

But even if a bunch of us did that and somehow had some effect on the overall rating of Canon printers, the best that might happen is that Canon might take the time to correct this issue in future printers.  They will never open the pandora box of admitting fault (or as some of you have accused, planned obsolesence)

On the subject of planned obsolescence.  No printer company will ever purposly design a printer to fail within a certain time period.  We all know that printers are like razers.  All print companies sell their printers for very close to cost.  They make their money off continuing to sell you overpriced ink over the years that you own that printer.  They would rather you hold onto that printer for many years, continuing to buy ink (that in many cases costs about 1/3 of the cost of the printer) year after year.  If the printer fails, there is a possiblity that the owner may decide to purchase a different brant of printer the next time, cutting off their ink sales.

So with that I am now going to unselect the "email me when someone replies" so that I stop getting these replys and get on with my like.

Actually something good is happening. Too bad you U subscribed and won't have a chance at a solution.

Geez they deleted me again. They certainly don't want the truth to come out!

Iceman22
Apprentice
I make a lot of my purchases based on online product reviews. Perhaps we should add our reviews to many of those websites that sell canon printers. At least we can help keep others from suffering our fate.

Amazon would be a good place to start leaving reviews.

I will be getting to work spreading the word that Canon has thousands of users of their printers that are getting the same error message "U052 Wrong Printhead Error" and are doing nothing about the problem. Just replaced my printhead, and have the same problem. They should have learned from Toyota that you can't just ignore problems your consumers are having.

Such a shame you didn't manage to read all the posts on this thread before wasting your money on a new printhead that doesn't fix the built-in error code. Several other people have done it and regret their action. Throwing good money after bad.
Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

I find it amazing that so many thousands of people are having this same printer failure, and Canon has done nothing to respond. Not only is this maddening as a Canon customer (former), but madness on the part of management. Do they think there are unlimited numbers of customers out their that they can just lose their current customers and continue to have a viable business? I think Canon stockholders would be pretty upset to know about this problem and the companies response.

Announcements