cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

after a year off, trying latest DPP - Busy cursor most of the time, usability issues

mangurian
Rising Star

Windows 10 with a fast processor, fast GPU, 64Gig RAM, two 1TB SSDs.  Default directory selected to have no images.

DPP still gives me a busy cursor most of the time.  What a crap piece of software.  It does everything I want, but the usability stinks.  It was the same story on my last computer. Is it smooth for everyone else?  Please let me know.

If it's not just me, why has there been no attempt to fix it.  Well, I will go back to my old faithful DXO Photolab.  I wouild really like to have those focus points and other goodies !!

10 REPLIES 10

Kristoff
Rising Star

Thanks for joining the conversation, mangurian!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which specific version of Windows you are running. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

mangurian
Rising Star

Setup is below.  After DPP opens, I have a "busy" hour glass cursor 90% of the time.  When the cursor briefly turns to the usual "arrow"  I am able to operate DPP.  The almost constant "busy" makes DPP unusable.  This is not a new problem for me.  It has happened with numerous versions of Windows 10 and even with my last computer.  As you can see below, I have plenty of compute power, 64 GB RAM, modern GPU, 4TB of SSD (2 +2)

Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 21H2 (build 19044.2728)
64GB RAM
Dell Inc. XPS 8940; 3.60 gigahertz Intel 11th Gen Core i7-11700K

NVMe KXG70PNV2T04 NVMe KIOXIA 2048GB [Hard drive] (2048.41 GB) SMART Status: Healthy
WDC WD20EZBX-75AYRA0 [Hard drive] (2000.40 GB) SMART Status: Healthy

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 [Display adapter]

Go into task manager while it is showing the hour glass and see what it going on in terms of CPU and drive access. 

I wonder if there is something else installed on your system that doesn't play well with DPP (anti-virus or some other background task)

The only significant issue I have with DPP is its memory leak issue causing it to become bloated after 30 to 45 minutes of use when editing files from a very large directory; this requires exiting and restarting to restore fast operation.  But I don't have the busy/hour glass symbol issue.

It would be nice if Canon would have their software contractor actually utilize the GPU in a meaningful way.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Hi mangurian,

Looking at your system specs DPP should run well on your computer. It is compatible with Windows 10. I checked some of our test systems and it is running well on those systems. As wq9nsc mentioned it may be helpful to open task manager while you are seeing the Busy sign to see what is happening with CPU load.

Another thing to check is the folder you have selected. I see you mentioned there aren't any photos in it, but if there are other files the software would still need to check the folder every time it opens. That can sometimes add time to DPP opening depending on how much is in the folder. One other thing is whether the drive is internal or external connected with a USB. If the selected folder is on an external drive connected through USB that can also add time to DPP opening.

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@mangurian wrote:

Is it smooth for everyone else?  Please let me know.

It is for me on my 3y/o Dell XPS 17. I do have very fast 2TB NVMe drives and 6GB GPU, but only 16GB of RAM. No spinning wheels, but as typical with DPP, it's sometimes slow when converting and saving, like 20-30 seconds for my Raw R5 CR3's, particularly when DLO or NR are used, but much better with the R6 and R6 II.

IIRC, the reason I joined this forum way back in 2014 was for the "spinning wheel" every 5-10 seconds when I was working in DPP. It turned out to be a file sharing program that I was using. After I removed it, no more problems. I'll betcha, as Rodger mentioned, there is something running that is interfering with DPP. In my case, the sharing app was preventing DPP access to the folder for brief periods of time while it was looking for new files to sync.

Newton

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@mangurian,

My experience is the same as what others mention above.  DPP is smooth and fast.  I'm running it on a an older X1 carbon with 16GB of ram.  Its my travel laptop.  Its slow in comparison to my Windows desktop or MAC, but works fine.  No hour glass or spinning cursors for me either.  Many of my directories have thousands of photos.  I use DxO too (since v1, have v7 now).  😀  Are your images being backed up to one drive, google drive, etc?  Something must be going on in the background as Waddizzle mentioned.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

mangurian
Rising Star

OK..........downloaded the latest DPP update. Opened it and encountered the same problem. I then closed it. rebooted and all is smooth now. Praying the problem does not return. Thanks for those who tried to help.

I have a sneaking suspicion based on people's suggestions, that the problem might occur when my background cloud backup is doing its thing.  If the problem reoccurs, I will stop the automatic backup to see if the problem disappears.

justadude
Rising Star
Rising Star

It's actually a nice piece of software, although I only use it for basic RAW edits with my infrared photography before moving the files over to Lightroom and/or Photoshop.  I've never had a problem running it on my Mac, even with other things running in the background... unless the other thing is very resource heavy.  

Hopefully the update will keep things running smoothly moving forward.

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Sounds like DPP is hunting for image files, while it is processing your current open image..

Do not allow DPP access to hundreds or thousands of files.  Have it open up to a default folder that is empty, not your entire catalog of image files.  Do your edits in a folder with only the files you are currently editing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
click here to view the gallery
Announcements