cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drag and drop in DPP4

kjacobs4242
Contributor

Drag and drop works differently all of a sudden in DPP4. I used to drag and drop jpgs from DPP4 to any folder I wanted to place an image in. The image always remained in its place in DPP, where all is organized. Now when I drag and drop it is removed from its original folder. I have been copying and pasting, but afraid I'll forget and lose an image. Some times they are moved to temp folders that are later deleted. Help!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@kjacobs4242 wrote:

All good, but does not address the issue. Drag and drop works differently now. My workflow is to edit all CR2's in DPP and convert to jpg. Then select all those jpg's and drag and drop into GIMP for a final edit, ie cropping and localized editing. Then save to original folder. All good to this point. Then I drag and drop selections to folders (as I have done for years) and poof!!! they are removed from original folder!!! How do I get it back to the old way which I am used to??? I suspect a bug in the program, cause it does other weird things at times that were not intended. My biggest fear is losing a really good image. Yeah I am copy and paste now, just hoping I don't revert to old ways.

Drag & Drop to a folder moves the image - always did for me.

Drag & Drop onto an application icon will start the app - always did for me.

Are you sure you aren't mistaken?

Screenshot 2023-12-30 080816.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I have windows 11 and am running DPP v4.18.0.0

This is the behavior I see when I drag and drop between folders.  

Copy and paste leaves a source file and pastes to the destination (as I would expect).  

My typical workflow.  Source folder containing RAW or RAW+.JPEG.  I perform my edits.  Often I will use a predefined recipe then make individual enhancements if I see something I want to change.  Then convert and save to a different destination.  The source folder always remains intact.  I may also create a subfolder for culling, then convert and save from that to a new destination, but I don't routinely drag images between folders once they are processed.   

General recommendation:

This applies to any data.  "Moving" is always risky.  If a problem occurs, data loss can result.  I suggest, that you copy and paste, then delete the source once you have confirmed all the files in your destination are present and are readable.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

kjacobs4242
Contributor

All good, but does not address the issue. Drag and drop works differently now. My workflow is to edit all CR2's in DPP and convert to jpg. Then select all those jpg's and drag and drop into GIMP for a final edit, ie cropping and localized editing. Then save to original folder. All good to this point. Then I drag and drop selections to folders (as I have done for years) and poof!!! they are removed from original folder!!! How do I get it back to the old way which I am used to??? I suspect a bug in the program, cause it does other weird things at times that were not intended. My biggest fear is losing a really good image. Yeah I am copy and paste now, just hoping I don't revert to old ways.

@kjacobs4242 wrote:

Drag & Drop to a folder moves the image - always did for me.

Drag & Drop onto an application icon will start the app - always did for me.

Are you sure you aren't mistaken?

Screenshot 2023-12-30 080816.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

You may be right. Over the las week or so I have gone thru all my files, deleting the unwanted, re editing my best, and moving to folders to send out to stock agencies. Brain definitely in overload. The good news is I rarely move the CR2's, so no real harm done with a lost jpeg.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements