cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to Mac OS 14 Sonoma - now can't connect EOS Utility to EOS Rebel T7

CoinGuy
Contributor

I use my Eos Rebel T7 on a custom camera stand to take photos of coins as part of my business. I connect via USB cable to my MacBook Pro and use Remote Shooting in EOS Utility 3.0 to focus, zoom and take photos. Then I stupidly upgraded from OS Ventura to OS 14 Sonoma, and now EOS Utility 3.0 doesn't work. I've checked the cable - it's working, as I see the camera in my Image Capture app. The EOS Utility just doesn't respond - sometimes I get nothing, and sometimes I get to the right screen where I would select Remote Shooting, but it's greyed out and I just have the spinning pinwheel. I have to force quit the app because it's not responding. So, clearly I upgraded to an OS that is too new and isn't compatible with EOS Utility. Is there any way to make my system work so I can still use live shooting? Will Canon be releasing an updated EOS Utility anytime soon? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There is a paid app called Kuuvik Capture from the App Store.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52

I didn't follow this exact article, however, I did reference another article to do the same thing. 

One thing of note:
Make sure if you have File Vault on turn it off before restarting in recovery mode.
Then once all is done turn your File Vault back on.

I appreciate this answer but is there an update on Sonoma compatibility or at least an ETA? I just signed up for the monthly webcam utility and after a couple hours of almost pulling my hair out, I still have not been able to get it to work. I really liked my Canon EOS M6 Mark 2 but I used it exclusively for video calls and interviews. Without an update I'll have to cancel my membership after the trial ends and not sure what I'm going to do with my camera.

I have the same subscription and frankly, it did nothing. Mine renewed because I forgot to cancel it. 

Thanks, John. The Apple solution did not work for me. I can see my 5D Mark III in your app, but the app is not showing up in Riverside.fm and Quicktime. I'm running OS X 14 (Sonoma) on a MacBook Pro 2019

Thanks, John,

The option(s) described in that article are more complicated than I wish to tackle.

I guess I can take the memory card out and use a memory card reader - which I have left at home for the duration of my 3-week trip. I hope that works.

Should have realized that OS 14 could be a problem. Lesson Learned.

I followed the Apple article and executed the provided command while in Recovery Mode. I receive the following error every time. 

Communication with the camera via USB cannot be
established.
Start EOS Utility after closing all the apps that
communicate with the camera, and then turn on the
camera again.

Any other suggestions? 

Are there any updates on a new release of EOS Utilities? 

IMG_6392.JPG

mrpaulc_0-1706403307656.png

Greetings mrpaulc,

Updates to the EOS Utility software will become available when posted by our software engineers to the product support page for compatible cameras. There is not date of when an update will be available.

In the meantime, you may restart your Apple computer to its regular desktop environment. If using the EOS Rebel T7 camera, please disable the camera's built-in Wi-Fi function prior to connecting the camera to the computer through a USB cable.

Ensure any software on the computer that can communicate with cameras is disabled or not running. Connect the camera to your computer, power it on, and let's check to see if the EOS Utility software launches. 

I don’t disagree. Why don’t you pick up the cudgel and get the upgrade?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

No, this is not a Solution.
I saw a lot of responses from you advertising this app. 
The problem is EOS UTILITY. Its not compatible on OS X 14 (Sonoma) And Canon MUST be upgraded

EOS Digital Rebel / EF 28-135mm f3.5 - 5.6 IS USM / EFS 15-55mm f3.5 - 5.6
EOS R6 / EOS R50 / RF 7 Art. 35mm f1.4 / RF 50mm f1.8 STM / RF 15-35mm f2.8 L / RF 24-70mm f2.8 L / RF 70-200mm f2.8 L

This is seriously a terrible solution. How do I downvote? 

The recommended app is $129.99. Do you advertise for them? Are you the app creator trying to make money? This post from @jrhoffman75 really should not be labeled "accepted solution". Bad stuff; fishy.

Announcements