cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just curious.. What photo processing software do you use?

JFG
Rising Star

I was wondering what Photo processing software folks are using...  Lr, Lrc, PhotoDirector, Photo Shop etc.  I use Lrc and PhotoDirector and I was wondering what others are using and why.

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams
6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I use Lightroom Classic. I started digital editing with scanned slides. Initially the software I used was Photoshop Elements because printer included a copy. I was a darkroom user so I only used software to emulate what I did in darkroom. Never a pixel smasher. 
When Adobe released the public beta of Lightroom I started using it. 
I have tried trial versions of other products but have not found significant enough differences to warrant spending the effort to learn a new program. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

I, use Adobe Light Room Classic, LrC, Photoshop, Ps, and also have PhotoDirector. I like to use Ps, for CRAW processing and for fine tuning.  LrC is a better product, than PhotoDirector however, having said that PhotoDirector comes close.   Both have powerful tools and are pretty user-friendly.  I'm sticking with LrC and Ps.   I'm on the Adobe Photography Plan (20GB) as I like to do all my work local and really don't have much need for cloud storage. However, the Photography Plan comes with 20GB of cloud storage in case I need it.  It also comes with Photoshop, Lightroom Classic, Lightroom, Adobe Stock, Photoshop Express, Adobe Express and Adobe Firefly.    I started using Photoshop back in the day when you could purchase the program.  Now everything is on the cloud for a monthly or annual charge, which is nice cause one is always up to date with the latest updates.  I like Light Room Classic as I do all my work from my pc without use of the cloud.  I also use Canon DPP once in a while.    lol

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams

johnrmoyer
Whiz
Whiz

It has been many years since I have used any Adobe software.

On my Debian Linux machine, I use rawtherapee, graphicsmagick, exiftool, gimp, and hugin. I sometimes experiment with others and have used darktable in the past.

On my iMac, I use Canon DPP, gimp, exiftool, and graphicsmagick. I have occasionally used Apple Photos.app.

On both my iMac and my Debian machine, I use ksh as my login shell and use ksh scripts and command lines to manage storage, copy files, make backups, make folders to contain files, and search for files because I have been using ksh since 1987 and I am slow to change. On my iMac, I also use timemachine for backups.

Most of my storage is attached to the Debian machine and shared via SMB.

For the answers to why, I use DPP because I have only Canon cameras now and usually use Canon lenses and like the DPP digital lens optimizer and DPRAW tools. I have been using gimp since it first started, so now I use it because I am familiar with it and it is free software. I use graphicsmagick because I like to use a command line for some things. I use exiftool to view and add to the image metadata and seems to me the best tool available. I use hugin when I make a panorama and sometimes when I make an image stack because it is free software and seems to be the best tool available. When I am not using a Canon lens, I use rawtherapee instead of Canon DPP because the rawtherapee "capture sharpening" includes a Richardson/Lucy deconvolution that is nearly as good as the digital lens optimizer in Canon DPP.

I experiment with dcraw_emu and gmic command lines and use the gmic plugin for gimp when I am curious how something works. Sometimes I build free software from source code, but usually no longer write my own programs.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Post processing is my weak point.  I use photoshop at a fairly rudimentary fashion - no layers or custom tools - mostly to do the auto lens corrections in RAW and do global light/colour corrections.  I occasionally work with Topaz De Noise to get rid of that when it is required.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

KateWinslet1
Apprentice

@JFG wrote:

I was wondering what Photo processing software folks are using...  Lr, Lrc, PhotoDirector, Photo Shop etc.  I use Lrc and  compassmobile.pro PhotoDirector and I was wondering what others are using and why.

I use Lightroom Classic and Photoshop for their powerful editing tools and seamless integration, which are ideal for detailed adjustments and creative edits.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

DxO Photo Lab Elite, DPP and DaVinci Resolve 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements