cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(In)compatibility of EOS Utility with MacOS Ventura

Stefan1
Contributor

I updated last night to MacOS Ventura. Unfortunately, the EOS Utility does not seem to be compatible with the latest version of MacOS. Because of this, I cannot connect with my Canon EOS R6. This is quite disastrous for me, since I use my R6 amongst others as a webcam. Why? In my profession and role, presentation matters a lot. 

When will this be resolved? Why is Canon seemingly incapable of keeping their software up-to-date?

De facto, the almost brand-new camera is now not useable anymore.

94 REPLIES 94

Same non-working software as usual 😞 There are no errors, but the menus are grayed out. As you seem to have it got to work, let us know how. Everyone that I spoke to has the same issue as I have. This is why I wrote the software in Python that bypasses this issue as it allows me to completely control the camera with my software and is relatively simple to install. Obviously, this is for someone with a bit more computer experience, but at least this way I can get to all the nice features of the Canon remote features via my local network, which seems not to work when using the EOS Utility. So let us know how you did it. as you seem to know more than we do. And yes my camera connects successfully to my local Wifi, I can see it, and as my software works I know the camera is working also. The only thing that's not working is the EOS Utility program from Canon. PS. I have newest firmware and prgs installed from the official canon R7 support web site.

Looking forward for your solution.

Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 11.36.24 PM.png

gvl
Contributor

Also I just verified that the network is perfectly ok. I checked the network and I can see the camera with "arp", also the "ping" succeeds and so on .... This is proof the camera is online and working but not the EOS Utility. So if you are a Canon developer/product manager/support staff, I can give you more insights if you need and let me know what you are looking for. Obviously, I can not give you a dump of my machine, but if there is a log file you know about that the EOS Utility creates then I can look into it and identify the lines that you need if you let me know what you are looking for. However, the image is pretty self-explaining. --- Looking forward for a solution ---

Remember I try to connect to the local network (which succeeds) and then use the EOS Utility program (which does not work). So I assume this is pretty simple to replicate by a Canon developer. If not let us know what we do wrong ... and how to get it to work. It seems that your help in pointing us the the newest software did not do the trick. At least not for me.

Hello Hazel_T,

My problem is not with webcam utility it is with eos utility 3. As I stated, I do tethered macro photography work.  I must be able to control my camera from my computer, see through the lens, etc. Canon eos utility 3 does not work with Ventura. and has not worked yet. This inability by Canon to get working software has turned my new r7 into nothing more than a very expensive paperweight.  I have been a Canon shooter since my orignal AE-1. I went from amateur to pro with Canon. Now Canon has left me treading water for a year waiting for software so I can use my new camera and lenses.  Maybe I should just realize Canon is not the company i thought they were, chalk it up to loss. Maybe it is time buy into a new camera company's system, one that doesn't shut down my production with their inability to suport their own product. Never in a million years would I have imagined myself shooting Nikon or Sony, but it seems Canon is forcing me too. At least I can get my work done using their cameras.

Schibelphoto. Obviously, we want all to have the software fixed. So maybe Hazel_T can facilitate that ... and talk to the right people at Canon as I assume they work at.

I hoped by now Canon would have fixed the issue. I also have an R7 and am a hobby person wanting to do experiment with Macro. 

In the meanwhile for macro I wrote Canon_Remote_Control.py It even has the advantage that you can program it which is quite nice for macro in general. However, it assumes knowledge of how to install Python and start this from a terminal.

preview.png

I hoped Canon would have fixed this by now.
Maybe I should do a YouTube video at one point using what I have written ... 

GVL,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll give your option a try.  I am familiar with Python as well as working within cmd, i spent years as a database admin for easynews. I read through your code, it looks like it may work enough for my needs. If I have the time today, I'll see if I can get it working.

I had totaly hoped Canon would fix this issue, but alas, they seem to not care much for a large group of photographers using their cameras.  Makes no sense to me, unless they are purposely trying to force people to buy other cameras.

I definitely suggest a YouTube, the right title and explanation of your work may garner you many thousands of views.

Announcements