cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just bought an SX50HS and continue to use an SX130IS bought in 2011.

fdsingleton
Contributor

I just bought an SX50HS and continue to use an SX130IS bought in 2011.  I have a Core 2 2.3GHz machine running Win XP SP3.  This runs my SX130 1280x720 videos without stressing the cpu at all.  Now they say I need at least 2.6GHz to run the new camera's videos.  If I install the new software will it also work with my huge no. of SX130 pictures and videos?  What will happen?  I have spent $$ on a new camera and do not want use my faster laptop which has a tiny screen for the new camera.  The SX130 2010 software has no problem showing all kinds of files that did not originate with its camera.  If I only produce 1280x720 size will it be OK?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Replying to the Canon message:

Looking at the previous Canon post, I understand what it says, but some people in this forum say they prefer ZoomBrowser to ImageBrowser.  My problem is in my SX130IS' s CameraWindow, and ZoomBrowser does not care where the jpg files come from (it displays images from my daughter's phone, brother-in-law's camera, etc) and I don't think I want anything different.  If I install the new CameraWindow alone or with DPP is this an option?  Basically, I use my desktop for critical tasks connected with my job and personal research and development , and always tend to avoid changing anything.  If I try out the new software it would be on my laptop which does not contain anything critical.  Then at some point soon I need to migrate the desktop from XP to Windows 7 (major change)!  In the meantime, I can remove the memory card from my SX50HS and ZoomBrowser reads it in its usual way which is like CameraWindow.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

fdsingleton
Contributor

.....Replying to my own post.  I see from reading posts that the new ImageBrowser is a lot different from ZoomBrowser, so if I continue to use my ZoomBrowser I should be OK.  However, getting an old CameraWindow to recognize a different camera did not work.  There must be Canon enthusiasts in this forum who have multiple different Canons.  What is your experience?

Mykolas
Authority

Hi fdsingleton!

Thanks for posting.

In order to connect to your PowerShot SX50 HS, the newer software needs to be installed.  Once installed, the newer software will work with both your PowerShot SX50 HS and PowerShot SX130 IS. 

Being able to work with HD video depends much more on the hardware specifications of the computer than it does on the software playing it back.  Since you are able to play back the video from your PowerShot SX130 with no problems, if you record the same size video with your PowerShot SX50 HS, you shouldn't have any problems.

This didn't answer your question? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Replying to the Canon message:

Looking at the previous Canon post, I understand what it says, but some people in this forum say they prefer ZoomBrowser to ImageBrowser.  My problem is in my SX130IS' s CameraWindow, and ZoomBrowser does not care where the jpg files come from (it displays images from my daughter's phone, brother-in-law's camera, etc) and I don't think I want anything different.  If I install the new CameraWindow alone or with DPP is this an option?  Basically, I use my desktop for critical tasks connected with my job and personal research and development , and always tend to avoid changing anything.  If I try out the new software it would be on my laptop which does not contain anything critical.  Then at some point soon I need to migrate the desktop from XP to Windows 7 (major change)!  In the meantime, I can remove the memory card from my SX50HS and ZoomBrowser reads it in its usual way which is like CameraWindow.

Announcements