cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eliminate sharp reflections?

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I'm using this photo in Raw and jpeg as a "guinea pig" to learn DPP4 and PSE 2021. I have played with DPP and PSE Quick to get a decent photo. I want to soften the glare on  the rhododenron leaves in the background. Your suggestions are most welcome. Adding- had to reduce it to fit.

IMG_8049.JPG

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
15 REPLIES 15

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

A polarizer when shooting it can reduce glare.

In post, you can lower the highlights.

kvb, will make sure the UV filter is in place. Will make sure I have it with me. The site is close so I can take some more photos. Plus, it is a good trout stream. Two birds with one stone?

John, will give it a try.

Thanks to you fellows.

John

Not UV, polarizing, as mentioned elsewhere.

kvb, obviouss compputer errorr. Noted the Polarized filter. Need to get used to using it. 

John

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

In DPP turn on the Highlight warning and see if the leaves turn red.

If so, they may be blown out and have no data.

If not, maybe yiou can reduce the highlights using the tool in DPP.

Screenshot 2021-08-17 131603.jpg

Screenshot 2021-08-17 131658.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

This is how I do things and others might not like it, but I hope someone might find it helpful.

In DPP, with "Show highlight warnings" threshold set to 255, it is not true that there is no data in the parts that display as red in the RAW file, but only in the color mapped result. It also may be true that some color channels are clipped in parts that do not display as red. This image was not quite as extreme as yours, but I wanted to recover parts of the red channel that were over exposed. By sliding the bar on the right side of the "Gamma adjustment" histogram display to the right, the blown out red channel was displayed more like I wanted. The cost, is that the image becomes more like an HDR image which had been squashed into 8 bits per channel. 

I also moved the higlights slider to the left to make the highlights less bright. The combination of moving shadow to the right and highlights to the left reduces the dynamic range of the image when I have captured an image with too much dynamic range and want less.

When increasing the dynamic range by moving the right side "Gamma adjustment" in the histogram, it is possible that the over exposed regions might change from white to unwanted colors.

gamma.png

Giant Swallowtail (Papilio cresphontes) on Zinnia, August 13, 2021 

IMG_3408cs2.jpg

histogram.png

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

I pulled up a recent photo of a cypress grove with the foreground very light. Bright morning sun was over my left shoulder while standing on the road. clicked on the Higllights icon but can't get the Gamma adjustment "activated." The lower part with Highlights isn't "lite up" where it can be used. The Auto button isn't working. Any help is appreciated. Got the general idea but can't do what Johnr is suggesting.IMG_8265.JPG

John

Is it a RAW file? 

The range of adjustments in DPP for JPEG files is limited. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

John, that might be a jpg. There should be a RAW photo, also. I'll check. Good point, BTW. I take both.

John
Announcements