cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting photos from One Drive to DPP4

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I might have addressed this a long time ago but now that I'm learning DPP4 and PSE, I have a trainload of jpeg and RAW photos on One Drive but can't access the photos on DPP4. There is the file on DPP4 but clicking on it comes up with nothing. If I click on the File icon at the bottom of the home screen, clicking on One Drive only brings up three Word documents. If I go to the Windows icon, I can click on the photo screen and get One Drive and the photos. In the past, I have clicked on a OD photo and transferred it to File Explorer but that would take a ton of time to transfer several hundred photos. Do I need to set up an account for OD? It says to access files from any device but I will only use my laptop and not my Android or Samsung tablet. Obviously, I'm not a computer whiz. Your help is appreciated, as always.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
8 REPLIES 8

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Its not practical to store pictures in One Drive (only) for editing.  You have to have a local copy.  Otherwise, you will wait forever for your image files to load.  It's not a bad way to protect images for archival purposes, but storage is not unlimited and the speed at which things open depend on several factors.  Speed of your internet connection, processing power, memory, type of disk, etc.  For optimal performance, files should be stored locally for editing purposes.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

Downloaded photos go directly to One Drive and I have nothing to do with the "path" they take. What is frustrating is having the same photos in File Explorer and OD! If I had control over this, OD would be blank. I don't know where they go until it's done. Frustrating to say the least.

John

@Tintype_18 wrote:

Downloaded photos go directly to One Drive and I have nothing to do with the "path" they take. What is frustrating is having the same photos in File Explorer and OD! If I had control over this, OD would be blank. I don't know where they go until it's done. Frustrating to say the least.

You may need to revisit how you have your One Drive folder configured.

Check that this section is unchecked.

Screenshot 2021-08-22 085918.jpg

Then you can create folders in the One Drive folder on your computer where you want to have images.

Then you can select which folders get uploaded to One Drive in the cloud:

Screenshot 2021-08-22 085759.jpg

If you check the box at 1 all folders will be synced. Or you can leave 1 unchecked and select individual folders in 2.

You just need to be sure to create any folders you want synced inside the One Drive folder.

You can see the folders I have checked in 2 above are in DPP in the One Drive folder path:

Screenshot 2021-08-22 090905.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

John, I never set up an OD account so I'm in the dark why this happens. I have clicked on OD but it says to set an account.

John

Bringing this to the top. My grandson, the computer whiz, said the OD is for storage only. However, I can access photos from different files in File Explorer for DPP4 and PSE 2021. Thanks to all for your replies. I'll look into setting up an account and stepping into the 21st Century.

John

When uploading your files to OD, I'm assuming that it DOES NOT REMOVE THE FILES from your memory card. If it does so, automatically, I'd be more than a little p*ssed.

Otherwise I'd continue to store copies of your images on OD, but only AFTER I'D COPIED THE SAME IMAGES TO A LOCAL STORAGE FOLDER on the desktop or someplace elsr where you can find them easily.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
If One Drive is set up properly there is a local folder on the desktop and One Drive automatically uploads the file also to the cloud.

One Drive can also be configured to remove the local file after the upload is complete to save local storage. An icon is in the local folder and when selected it will download the file.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
One Drive on my computer does not automatically download files from my card. That must be an optional setting.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements