cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Webcam Utility using too much CPU

cooper_ferguson
Apprentice

Whenever I use EOS Webcam Utility (whether it's "pro" or a previous version) and check Activity Monitor (I'm on a 2018 MacBook Pro), it says EWCService_x86_64 is using more than 100% of my CPU. Whether it's with the regular Webcam Utility Pro app, OBS, Streamlabs, etc., it is always using and incredible amount of processing power.

Is there a fix for this?

3 REPLIES 3

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi cooper_ferguson,

I'm sorry to hear the EOS Webcam Utility is using so much of your CPU. There are a couple of things to check with an issue like this. The first is to open the EOS Webcam Utility, go into the settings, and select the Video tab. Since the software is using so much of your CPU try using the Preview using lower framerates option. That won't impact the quality of the stream itself, it will only impact the frame rate of the preview you see of your stream.

If that doesn't resolve the issue try lowering the video output resolution and streaming framerate to see if that frees up more of the CPU.

I've already had that setting applied when the problem became apparent. I've double checked and the problem is still there.

I'm using a Canon 80D if that information helps.

nakul
Contributor

I have the same issue. EWCService is taking 100% CPU. Any other solutions available?

Announcements