cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility not working with Windows 10

almaniac
Apprentice

Hi all, 

I just upgraded to Windows 10, and immediatly ran into the problem that is described in this thread about Windows 8:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Eos-Utility-problem/td-p/1189

After reading that thread I decided to unplug the other USB devices I had in the computer at the time (Garmin Watch, USB key, smart phone) and turn off the camera.  I then turned on the camera and ran the EOS utility and it found my camera and worked correctly.

Clearly this problem is still not resolved, but that simple work-around gets me downloading my pictures again.  There are a lot of other things people tried in the above thread, but I just unplugged the USB devices and was good to go.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, solved it. Went to the Canon Support site and although there is no updated software for WIN 10, I checked what was available in the Win 8.1 software. There is an "EOS Utility Updater"... this installed "EOS Utility 2" and now it is working just fine.

View solution in original post

200 REPLIES 200

@Lumigraphics wrote:

Using a Rebel T5i. I have the current Windows 10 Pro release (1903 Build 18362.239) and Canon Utility 2.14.20.0. If I launch Canon Utility 2 directly, tethering works perfectly. I cannot get auto-launch to detect the camera regardless of reinstall, reboot, reconnect camera, etc.

This combo worked in the past but at some point with Windows updates it quit working. I'm just doing the manual startup because I have to turn on the camera anyway.

The preference to open linked software doesn't work either, I use Adobe Bridge and have to manually switch to it after each capture.

I also have a Rebel XSi connected to an ancient MacBook Pro running OS X 10.6.8 and Bridge CS5 and both functions work perfectly there, go figure.

Canon should just merge versions and support all cameras with the latest Canon Utility on current operating systems. I suspect that a lot of their customers use Windows 10 (I'm a Mac guy but don't get much say on equipment at work, or I'd have better systems.)

The versions are merged. Download the latest and the software uses what is appropriate.

Annotation 2020-05-04 180318.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Just having to reload some software and wondering what the latest position is on the Canon software.

I cam remember that many years ago, there was a nice simple programme that start up when you connected the camera.  Then Canon "improved" the program so it mo longer downloaded and you had to take the memory card out of camera.

I tried to reload to program but still not downloading as before - gives all the files sequential file names,  does not put them in folders for each month.  Just spent a few hours on it but giving up fopr the night.

Is there a file that will install a program that works properly.

MB

Downloader Pro by Breeze Systems will do what you want.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Just been trying Downloader Pro.

Nowhere near as good as the original free programs suppled by Canon.

Looks as if it might be back to  downloading direct from the memory card.

MB

I found the file that I downloaded on the following website:

https://hk.canon/en/support/0200458002

The file that you need is "euw2.14.20a-updater.exe". It should create a shortcut in your startup that runs the following:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility\EOS Utility.exe" /AutoStartUp. Make sure you start the right one. The correct one detects your camera and launches the actual utility with the correct parameters.

Tht's what's in my startup folder. When it's in your startup a camera icon will be in your startup programs. RIght-click on it to give the configuration options, and click the one that is labelled "Start EOS Utility automatically when the camera is connected.  I have a Canon 7D and a Canon 5D, and they both start the EOS utility and allow downloads to whatever folder I choose.

Hope it works for you.

Regards, Richard (aka firefly2560)

Thanks, I will give that a try when I get back home.

I still can 't understand why Canon find it so difficult to have a reliable downloader that does not need any software from others  Even the downloader for my IXUS sometime needs several tried to get it goling.

Took down the files OK, if only it could retain the original file name produce one that identifies the image as the much missed) ZoomBrowser used to do.

Again struggling to get EOS Utility to  work.

It is going to be back to copying from the memory card.

Running the updater does not help because it sees the files are already present so does not update them.

I tried uninstalling to two EOS Utility and then updating but still does not work.

Has any third parties ever produced a utility to download images from the EOS cameras?  Getting rather fed up of having to keep removing the memory cards to download my pictures.

timeisonkey
Apprentice

Yes, there are third-party utilities available that can be used to download images from EOS cameras. Some popular options include:

Adobe Lightroom: This is a popular photo editing and management software that allows you to import and download images from your camera directly.

Capture One: Another professional photo editing and management software that supports direct camera tethering and downloading.

Photo Mechanic: A fast image browser and photo editor that allows you to download images directly from your camera.

Image Capture (Mac only): A built-in utility on Mac computers that allows you to import photos from your camera.

EOS Utility (Canon software): This is the official software from Canon that comes with your EOS camera and can be used to download images.

It's important to note that not all cameras are compatible with every software option, so you should check the compatibility of your camera with any software you are considering. Additionally, some third-party software options may have a cost associated with them.

Reference: Watch SmackDown Online 

Announcements