cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility Not Working with MacOS Sierra

ossian
Contributor

I am using a beta version of the new MacOS Sierra. In the early stages of the beta, the EOS Utility worked fine but in the past 2 releases, it has failed.

I am using a Canon EOS 700D and v2.14 (2.14.10.2) of the utility. I aslo use an iMac 2009.

I have filed a bug report with Apple on this one, but there has been no action on their part yet to sort the issue. In any case, I suspect it may be left to Canon to update their software in line with the OS release.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced the problem and if Canon were aware of it?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Well, I eventually found a Canon contact point for a software related issue. This is their response:

In response to your enquiry regarding software for your EOS 700D, we regret to inform you that the software for this operating system have not currently been developed.

Canon are due to be working on the development of software updates when the operating system has been officially released and will be available as soon as possible. Unfortunately we do not have a release date.

We therefore advise to consult our download centre, as they will be available to download and install from here, when released. Please find the link to this section below.

http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos_700d.aspx?type=dow...)

So, there we go!

View solution in original post

I honestly can't believe you guys.

I had ignored the last post at the top of this page as it was a waste of time responding. Firstly, it was recommended that I file a Bug Report to Apple. I had already reported in the initial post that I had done that.

I also stated that I am part of the Appleseed programme with a 2 way communicatrion system in place WITH APPLE ENGINEERS to feed back on their seeds. I am not using the public release of the Beta.

I stated that Apple will take no responsibility for 3rd party software which you disagreed with claiming it was Apple's responsibility. My response from Canon aknowledges this.

As for buying Canon's newest product and making sure that software is compatible by investing in a Window's machine? I hope that was a joke!

The software worked for over a year with the Mac OS -through various updates, seeds, betas, whatever! It has only now become unusable. I run more than one partition on this machine and if I need to, I can dive back into the previous version of the OS loaded on another partition. That is inconvenient, but it is an option. Cameras, Mac OS, Photoshop, etc, etc. They have gone together for years and are unlikely to be abandoned by the many photographers now.

I am sorry that I did join this forum. I never expected it to be populated by trolls and fanatics.

Thank you for your help. I have my solution. Subscription to the topic closed!

View solution in original post

58 REPLIES 58

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"I am using a beta version of the new MacOS Sierra. In the early stages of the beta, the EOS Utility worked fine but in the past 2 releases, it has failed."

So what.  That is why it is called a Beta.  Don't blame Canon because their existing app may not work with a Beta.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

"I am using a beta version of the new MacOS Sierra. In the early stages of the beta, the EOS Utility worked fine but in the past 2 releases, it has failed."

So what.  That is why it is called a Beta.  Don't blame Canon because their existing app may not work with a Beta.

So what??? Is that meant to be helpful? I did not criticise Canon, merely raised the issue and wondering if others were experiencing the same problem. It also acts as an alert to others considering upgrading that they may have issues. It is called 'communication'.

This is my first foray into this forum and if this is the type of individual who contributes here, then it can't be much of a forum!

"So what??? Is that meant to be helpful? I did not criticise Canon, merely raised the issue and wondering if others were experiencing the same problem."

That's correct.  "So what."  You're in the wrong forum.  Take it up with that Beta's forum.  It's not a Canon issue.  It's Apple's.

I am being helpful.  You are more likely to find users of that Beta in the Apple forum than you will around here.  Excsue me for being so blunt and direct, but those are the facts.

@Waddizzle wrote:

"So what??? Is that meant to be helpful? I did not criticise Canon, merely raised the issue and wondering if others were experiencing the same problem."

That's correct.  "So what."  You're in the wrong forum.  Take it up with that Beta's forum.  It's not a Canon issue.  It's Apple's.

I am being helpful.  You are more likely to find users of that Beta in the Apple forum than you will around here.  Excsue me for being so blunt and direct, but those are the facts.

Read the initial post again properly. I have reported it to Apple. I have taken other action also to seek advice on Apple forums without success. I am now here to see if there is anyone in the same situation as myself who has experienced this problem as Beta releases of Apple OS software is now available to the public.

As far as I know, there is no way to feedback to Canon using their software directly and, therefore, I am hopeful that the Mods or Admins here may be able to do that. It is how it works on other software sites.

And you are wrong about it simply being Apple's problem. When an OS is changed, it is down to the developers within each company to update and issue compatible software. That is why feedback processes exist. Furthermore, if you want to read about the Appleseed project, you will learn more of what I participate in. In the past, I have referred issues to Apple during testing and follwing investigation by Apple engineers, I have been referred to the third party to advise them of incompatibilities.

At this point I cannot tell if I have a compatibility issue with my machine, my camera, my software, or what! That is why I am asking. A process of gaining as much information as I can about this particular incompatibilty and, if possible, hear from others who may have a solution to that.

As for being blunt and direct, you don't need to be rude to make your point. I think most of us are aware of how internet communications work by now!

"And you are wrong about it simply being Apple's problem. When an OS is changed, it is down to the developers within each company to update and issue compatible software."

Obviously, you do not understand what "Beta Version" actually represents.  So, I'll tell you.  Beta users are voluntary guinea pigs.  You are testing the software for bugs, at your own risk.  You report those bugs to the party that released the Beta, not to third parties.  In fact, beta testers will typically have dedicated "beta platforms" for conducting tests. 

If you expect thrid party develiopers to change their existing software base to accomodate a bug ridden beta release, then you need to stop using Betas.

@Waddizzle wrote:

"And you are wrong about it simply being Apple's problem. When an OS is changed, it is down to the developers within each company to update and issue compatible software."

Obviously, you do not understand what "Beta Version" actually represents.  So, I'll tell you.  Beta users are voluntary guinea pigs.  You are testing the software for bugs, at your own risk.  You report those bugs to the party that released the Beta, not to third parties.  In fact, beta testers will typically have dedicated "beta platforms" for conducting tests. 

If you expect thrid party develiopers to change their existing software base to accomodate a bug ridden beta release, then you need to stop using Betas.

To be fair to the OP, he inhabits a different world from the one with which you and I are familiar. Apple has repeatedly shown its indifference to problems caused by the lack of backwards compatibility of its operating systems. Its users are expected to try to bully 3rd-party software developers into conformance and, if unsuccessful, are free to "shoot the messenger" who delivers the bad news. Every time Apple delivers a new OS, we hear the same whine. It's nothing new.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

To be fair to the OP, he inhabits a different world from the one with which you and I are familiar. Apple has repeatedly shown its indifference to problems caused by the lack of backwards compatibility of its operating systems. Its users are expected to try to bully 3rd-party software developers into conformance and, if unsuccessful, are free to "shoot the messenger" who delivers the bad news. Every time Apple delivers a new OS, we hear the same whine. It's nothing new.

Okay, I'll concede your point.  But, the OP doesn't seem to realize that a Beta version is a prototype, not a release, The release version could be subject to dramatic changes from the Beta before it is officially published.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Okay, I'll concede your point.  But, the OP doesn't seem to realize that a Beta version is a prototype, not a release, The release version could be subject to dramatic changes from the Beta before it is officially published.

From the layout of your post, it's not clear whose point you're conceding. But note that I did not write that part that lets Apple off the hook.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"From the layout of your post, it's not clear whose point you're conceding. But note that I did not write that part that lets Apple off the hook."

I was conceding your point about the OP coming from a different world.  Sorry, for the confusion.  It was separated by a line.

Announcements