cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility 3 not launching while “apps communicating with camera” are open

darrisharris
Apprentice

EOS Utility 3 won’t launch when Photoshop and Bridge are open (and iMovie). I must first close the apps, launch EOS Utility 3, then reopen Photoshop and Bridge. I’ve been using Canon Utility and PS/BR for over a decade and never had this issue before. In fact, I’ve been using this same computer and PS/BR versions for a couple of years. MacBook Pro, M1Max, OS12, PS/BR 2021. Ever since updating my OS to 13 and updating PS to 2024, I’ve had this issue. Anyone have an idea of how to fix this? Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi darrishharris,

The camera is only able to directly communicate with one piece of software at a time, so if the EOS Utility detects that another piece of software is already communicating with the camera it will give you the message you listed. It could be that the newer operating system is allowing PhotoShop or Bridge to connect to the camera before the EOS Utility can get to it. There aren't any settings on the camera or in the EOS Utility you could use to resolve this issue. In this case we would recommend opening the EOS Utility first, establish the connection with the camera, and then open your other software.

Hazel_T: Awesome!  I managed to get my new (old) 80D working perfectly with EOS utility 3 on my M1 running the latest Sonoma (14.4.1).  You were absolutely correct, something hijacked the USB connection with the camera - though I couldn't figure what it was, _might_ have been Bridge. But I restarted the Mac, and then immediately launched EOS Utility, and voilà.

Thanks Hazel_T, Alas, this isn't a great solution. On a project, I need to unplug the camera when I move to a new location. Opening and closing PS & BR dozens of times during a shoot is tedious and slows things down. But thanks again for the reply!

uimike
Contributor

An update...  Seems like Apple Photos was hijacking the camera. When I quit Photos, EOS Utility launched and connected normally with the camera.

uimike
Contributor

More information: it was not Apple Photos hijacking the camera, but Image Capture. So far seems to be holding, after I opened image capture, and with the camera selected, went to "connecting to this camera opens" menu, selected "more" ( the ellipses), and selected EOS Utility 3 (the icon inside the subfolder).  When I quit EOS Utility, the camera LCD shows the mass storage icon (computer), but then reverts to the typical info screen. Hoping it is now a permanent solution!

Thanks uimike, Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. I still need to close any other application that is communicating with the computer before launching EOS Utility.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forums.  Hazel correctly describe how USB ports work.

USB ports are old school, serial RS-232 ports all grown up.  However, RS-232 ports have always been strictly a one-to-one communication protocol.  It is not one-to-many, many-to-one, or many-to-many.  Thw one-to-one protocol is how computer serial communications have always worked.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yep, thanks! I was experimenting with some applescript to quit Photos and Capture (which get launched by other activity, such as plugging in my iPhone), but yes, the process still is quite both, launch Eos Utility and connect the camera (fast 😀) again.

I did (for a moment) toy with the idea of getting Kuuvik, Laszlo Pustai is a good guy, but it’s not a trivial expense, and I always liked Eos Utility…

click here to view the gallery
Announcements