cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP software feature request

Daltongang
Apprentice

For many years Photoshop has been the go to editing software for many people, amateur and professional alike.  Now there are several equally high quality editors available.  I would suggest that the Transfer to Photoshop option be modified to allow the user to pick the photo software they use for editing.  

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I believe that feature is already available using the EOS Utility when you download files via USB.  There is an option to select which editor you want to launch after the photos are downloaded.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@Daltongang wrote:

For many years Photoshop has been the go to editing software for many people, amateur and professional alike.  Now there are several equally high quality editors available.  I would suggest that the Transfer to Photoshop option be modified to allow the user to pick the photo software they use for editing.  

Since you mentioned DPP I am assuming you do some initial editing in DPP and want to do additional work in an alternate software.

You can achieve that by using the Batch tool in DPP. (A "batch" could be just one image).

Screenshot 2022-08-27 084505.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

That's pretty cool! Has that always been there?

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Hi Newton. Yes, back into early versions of DPP3 at least. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Thanks, John. Although I have always used DPP for post, it doesn't surprise me that I've never seen it. Most of my shots require very little editing and I mainly use the basic and color adjustment panels. Depending on the lens, I also use lens adjustment and sometimes noise. I then just export as I edit each shot.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Batch processing is one of the things DPP does very well and this runs as a semi-independent process so you can do other activities in DPP while batch is doing its thing. 

I use 1DX series bodies for sports events but sometimes I will also bring a pair of 5DS-R bodies along for non-action photos and after I edit and the 1DX photos are batching, I edit the 5DS photos which I keep in a separate directory structure.  On a robust PC, running batch plus editing doesn't seem to slow either process much.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thanks, What you're suggesting does work, but in a backwards sort of way.  I'm not looking to create a new file, just continue working on the current file in a program (Capture One) other than Photoshop that also handles RAW files.  If memory serves me correctly, the Transfer to Photoshop option does not create a new file but transfers the photo directly to Photoshop.

You are correct that the file is not saved, but a new TIFF file is created.

Screenshot 2022-08-28 132744.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

That's getting closer, but it would still be nice to directly open a raw file from DPP4 in another editor.  I know it is possible, my DAM program does it seamlessly.  

Announcements