cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.16.11.0 EXIF caution!!!

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I upgraded to DPP 4.16.11.0 a couple of weeks ago and realized that when I uploaded the files to my hosting site, it was no longer sorting properly by EXIF image taken time/date.  The cause was Canon apparently decided to change the default "include all shooting information" which I always use to "remove shooting info". I have gone through numerous upgrades of DPP over the years and this has never happened before SO if you upgrade to 4.16.11.0 make sure to check to make sure it is set as you want.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised given that they have never fixed the "memory leak" problem after years of it occurring nor the many other sophomoric annoyances of an otherwise very useful application.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
4 REPLIES 4

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

For me, it remained set to include all shooting info.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

I think it probably just had a glitch, once I reset the default that part was fine.  But the update has a new annoying issue that I ran into after shooting a lot of game photos last night; the "memory leak" issue that DPP has had for years now creates a rough and shaky cropping experience when rotating to level.  The issue occurs when editing a large number of images after 45 minutes or more of editing.

The "fix" as usual is to exit and restart DPP.  I have seen the memory issue cause somewhat sluggish performance in previous versions but this is the first time I have experienced this with the cropping tool.  I use three camera bodies to shoot a game (1DX III and a pair of 1DX II bodies) and processing is done on a twin CPU HP Z series workstation.

This Z840 has 256 GB per CPU and twin Nvidia workstation graphics cards with their own dedicated ram so it isn't an issue with system resources, just DPP not behaving as well as it should.  It does a great job with high ISO RAW images and takes care of the basic editing so I guess having to exit and restart from time to time isn't that big of a deal but it would be nice if Canon would fix the software and even nicer if they would port it to Linux.  I have been using DPP since buying my first 1 series digital body back in 2005 and I am generally pleased with it but it definitely could be better for those of us who deal with large numbers of files.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Before I got an iMac, I would run DPP in a windows virtual machine using qemu on Debian Linux. DPP was the only windows program I used. I used sftp to transfer files between the virtual machine and Linux file systems so that I could mitigate windows insecurity by avoiding shared resources. I had a portable windows license that I had upgraded continuously over the years until I stopped at Windows 10.

I still use XQuartz to display many Debian programs on my iMac screen and use ksh as my login shell on both Debian and macOS. On Debian, I use Gimp, GMIC, GraphicsMagick, exiftool, hugin, libraw/dcraw_emu, and occasionally rawtherapee.

I speculate, but cannot prove, that DPP runs better on macOS than on Windows and the iMac has a very nice screen for displaying those Linux programs.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

I have thought about running DPP in a VM with my workstation running Red Hat Linux but DPP is slow enough as is that I never bothered trying to make it jump through those hoops.  With the twin CPU setup and plenty of memory, it is pretty fast with the only lag occurring with digital lens optimizer when using files from my 1DX III.  It is only a few seconds but it is annoying when pretty much everything else runs very fast on the workstation.

DPP has never done a good job of GPU utilization, I never see GPU loading over 2% when running DPP and up until a few versions ago it never pushed CPU load over 20%.  Now it will show brief jumps in the 40% range but even when it is churning through DLO the processor load is pretty low. 

I do have hopes that one day Canon will port DPP over to Linux so it can run their as a native application.  DPP does a lot of things really well but it has long needed some cleanup.  But things could be worse, it could be like Win 10 🙂

Rodger

Announcements