cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP Unusable

daneaffr
Contributor

I recently tried out Canon's Digital Photo Professional software and I'm really happy with the improvement in my images out of camera vs importing into Lightroom.  However, I'm not at all happy with the way the software behaves.  It seems very unstable.  I have to go v-e-r-y slow - don't click before it is done thinking or it freezes.  Every time I use it the screen locks up, starts flickering, going black then coming back on, and the program becomes unusable after editing a handful of images - even going v-e-r-y slow with clicks.  I have to use the task manager to shut it down.  The images are great, the software is not.  The person who told me about it reports no such issues, so I am wondering what is going on.  Do I need to uninstall/reinstall?  I'm on Windows 10 and keep operating system up to date.  Just downloaded DPP less than a month ago and like I said, I really like the image quality it gives me, but can't use it if it behaves like this.  I tried breaking the pictures into batches of 15 and put them in separate folders so I wasn't dealing with so many images at one time and that did not help.  

Specs Windows 10 PC - 16GB ram, 64-bit - I've even shut down everything else so DPP has the machine to itself and it still behaves badly.

9 REPLIES 9

daneaffr
Contributor

This is a video of how DPP behaves.  I started with a folder with only 15 raw files in it.  I had to use task manager to shut it down 2 or 3 times - all I did was change the white balance on the images and save them as tiffs.  I started on the second batch of 15 - deleted one picture and clicked on the next one and this started.  This software is unusuable.   It is terribly unfortunate!

Hi daneaffr,

Thanks for checking in with us.

The video link you mentioned did not make it through to us, but I can give you a few things to check.

I'm wondering if you're able to view and edit those photos in Lightroom. Even if one of those images in the folder was corrupted, then that could cause issues for photo-editing programs.

Beyond that, I suggest getting the latest version of Digital Photo Professional 4. You can get it by visiting:

www.canoneos.com

On the new page that loads, click on DRIVERS & DOWNLOADS link on the top right. Enter your camera model in the prompt, select it from the options that load under the box, and then press enter. The latest version is currently 4.15.20, so look for it near the top of the page.

If you're not seeing it, please elaborate on which camera you have and which version of Windows 10 you have. You can check the version by pressing the START button and then right clicking on COMPUTER or MY COMPUTER and then selecting PROPERTIES.

Hi Nick,

I posted the link to the video on youtube as well.  The files are fine.  They load into LR without any issues.

I do have the latest version of DPP - I just downloaded it for the first time last month.

Windows version 10.0.19041 Build 19041

Thanks for responding!

Laura

Hi Laura. 

I ran two tests. Opened a file containing 462 images. Images from a Canon 1D X Mark III.

First test: selected one image, performed some edits, saved the recipe file, select 15 images, applied the recipe file and then ran a batch convert and save to convert the RAW files to full size JPEG files. Process took about 27 seconds per image. No problems. Took about 27 seconds per file.

Second test: selected five random files opened them all in Edit and performed various edits to each file. Returned to main window and once again performed batch convert and save (as above). No problems. Same time per file.

Here is my system configuration:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB
Device ID (hidden)
Product ID (hidden)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen support

Windows configuration:

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎7/‎29/‎2020
OS build 19043.1320
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

I do have a dedicated GPU for graphics, but I ran the test with GPU processing switch in DPP both off and on. There was no discernible difference in processing time.

My computer is from 2013 and far from a powerhouse. It does meet the higher specs recommended by Canon for the 1D X Mark III and R5/R6 bodies.

Perhaps this info can help you identify differences and narrow in on a cause.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I shot a state soccer final today with a total of 1,800 images from two 1DX 2 and one 1DX 3 bodies.  I spent about three hours doing some editing and DPP is currently batch processing 356 edited RAW files into full resolution JPG files.  Files from the 1DX 3 take 3 to 5 seconds per file to convert to JPG, 1DX 2 files are under 2 seconds per file.  No glitches or slowdowns occurred during editing and batch processing is on its last 40 files and will be finished in a couple of minutes.

The difference is, I am using a HP Z series workstation with 256 GB of memory for each of its 8 core Xeon processors and a pair of Nvidia workstation graphics cards with their own video memory.  DPP and the files being edited run from a HP Z drive solid state drive on the processor bus.  Windows 10 is extremely resource hungry and the addition of DPP puts a lot of overhead on the system so a lot of systems are going to be very slow with the combination of bloated Win 10 and a data manipulation program working with very large graphics data sets.

I know that people have run into issues using AMD processor equipped systems with DPP.  The Xeon processors in my workstation are Intel products very similar to the I7 series but designed for use in multiple CPU systems and to run at 100% duty cycle at rated speed.

Looking at task manager, CPU use is peaking at 35% for short periods of time during batch processing but generally staying at 20% or lower and I am also running several other programs while this is going on.  Memory utilization is staying at 2%, GPU is under 3% but none of that is for DPP which still doesn't seem to be able to utillize GPU units for anything useful.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Hi John,

I have an update.  I rebooted my PC and then opened DPP to edit my images.  I did not open any other software (email, browser, etc) first - nothing running on the fresh reboot but DPP.  It behaved as I would expect it to.  In the past, I've always opened it when other packages are running - like email and a browser.  Shutting those down did not help DPP once it was running.  so I guess from now on, I reboot and then open DPP without any other software so I can use it without issues?  The specs on my PC are:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz 3.00 GHz

Intalled RAM: 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)

System Type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 10 Home

Version 21H1

Installed on 7/2/2021  

OS Buildl 19043.1288

Maybe your 32GB of RAM makes the difference?

thanks for the reply.

Laura

BTW - I see the video in my post fine. It is there.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@daneaffr wrote:

I recently tried out Canon's Digital Photo Professional software and I'm really happy with the improvement in my images out of camera vs importing into Lightroom.  However, I'm not at all happy with the way the software behaves.  It seems very unstable.  I have to go v-e-r-y slow - don't click before it is done thinking or it freezes.  Every time I use it the screen locks up, starts flickering, going black then coming back on, and the program becomes unusable after editing a handful of images - even going v-e-r-y slow with clicks.  I have to use the task manager to shut it down.  The images are great, the software is not.  The person who told me about it reports no such issues, so I am wondering what is going on.  Do I need to uninstall/reinstall?  I'm on Windows 10 and keep operating system up to date.  Just downloaded DPP less than a month ago and like I said, I really like the image quality it gives me, but can't use it if it behaves like this.  I tried breaking the pictures into batches of 15 and put them in separate folders so I wasn't dealing with so many images at one time and that did not help.  

Specs Windows 10 PC - 16GB ram, 64-bit - I've even shut down everything else so DPP has the machine to itself and it still behaves badly.

Hello.

What camera (i.e. RAW  file type) are you trying to edit?

Can you describe exactly what steps/process you are trying to execute (i.e. why are the number of files in the folder relevant to the process)?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Canon 5D MIV.  As I mentioned - I divided the files so there were 15 raw files in each folder.  I thought that maybe dealing with a folder with 200+ files in it was too much for the software, so I thought I'd make it a smaller batch.  I'm grasping at straws here.  🙂

After navigating to the folder, I clicked on the toolbar, selected a file, changed the white balance and then file, convert and save.  That is it!  If I try to apply something to multiple files or even try to delete multiple files that will freeze the program for sure, so I avoid doing that.  But it doesn't matter how little I do, this problem keeps happening.

Laura

Announcements