cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP Lost GPS data

HAEI
Contributor

I have a canon 5 DSR and take raw pictures. In the raw info I find GPS coordinates.

When I use the HDR tool in the DPP software, the created JEPG file dont contain GPS data. Why does this happen, and I find no settings to prevent it to happen!

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You did not respond to my question about writing copyright info to the final HDR JPEG file.

You have noticed that GPS data does not get written to the JPG.  John has pointed out that none of the original EXIF data gets copied into the final JPEG.  From a logical and practical point of view, I think it makes perfect sense not copy anything into the final JPEG file.

What about the other EXIF data?  What should be written for many of those values?  I think not copying and writing anything to EXIF is best compromise.

What date and time should be written to EXIF for the final JPEG?  

What focal length should  be written to EXIF for the final JPEG?

What exposure settings should be written to EXIF for the final JPEG?

What AF point data, AF mode, exposure settings, metering mode, and yada-yada should be written to the EXIF for the final JPEG?

I am sorry that you disagree with the decision to not to preserve and write ANY of the EXIF data to the final JPEG, but I do not see a better path moving forward.  The best that can be done is write EXIF that reflects when the final JEPG was created.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Canon had the choice, write some of it or none of it.  The only way to write any of it was to infer too many unknowns and/or draw potentially false conclusions from the known facts that you do have on hand.

There was far too much guess work involved.  It would seem a design decision was made not to copy any of the original EXIF data into the final JPEG file.  I do not foresee that being changed.  The original data cannot be preserved because it can be self contradictory.

There are two ways in canon DPP to make JPEG files. Method one is to convert the CR2 to JPEG, this is under the File banner. The other is using the HDR process under tools. The converted JPEG file has all the data from the CR2 file transferred to the EXIF file. But as you say almost nothing is transferred to the HDR JPEG file. Of course the date is the creation of the file, CR2 file is the date you took the picture. The converted one is when you do that and likewise for the HDR file.

My suggestion is that it should be my choice to decide if I want all or no dat in the HDR XIF file. It would not need much work for canon to revise DPP 4. If it can be done for the converted file it should also be easy to do it for the HDR file. If you have a lot of files its very handy to have all the data in all three files.

The HDR tool is not the appropriate tool for converting a single RAW file to a JPEG. 

The HDR tool is used to convert multiple files of different exposures into a file with increased dynamic range. The output file is a JPEG. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

You ignored by questions again.  You either write all of the EXIF data or none of the EXIF data.  Since it is impossible to write to the most common data fields the decision was made to not to write anything.

Unfortunately, for you, I do not see that fundamental design decision being changed.  I suggest that you use an app like EXIF Tool and add the GPS data yourself.

Announcements